• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Help! I'm confusing myself!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Content Guardian
  • Start date Start date
C

Content Guardian

Guest
Hello all,

I'm really hoping someone, please please, someone can help me!

I have been interested in GTD for many years, but have never 100% dedicated myself to it; only really using selective parts of it. I think this is probably what's caused me to get frustrated every now and then with the systems I had developed (using part of GTD), when really I should have stuck to ONE way of working - the whole GTD way.

Anyway, I'm now in a position where I want to dedicate myself to the GTD process, but cannot decide what to use to help me. I'm lucky to have a lot of gadgets and notepads (well, perhaps not lucky, more like blown my money over the years!), and I really want to use ALL of them, but at the same time, I don't want to over-complicate things.

I know it ultimately has to come down to what I am comfortable with, but I'm comfortable with ALL of them.

I would really like to know what YOU would do? What would YOU use from the list? And how you would use it or them? Please help, I'm in a corner at the moment all cuddled up against my big GTD teddy bear!

The equipment I have:

- Palm TX PDA
- Alphasmart Neo
- Treo 750 phone
- Acer Laptop (Win XP)
- Macintosh Powerbook
- Olympus Dictaphone
- Numerous Moleskine notebooks
- Archos 605 Wi-Fi
- Motorola V3 phone
- Sony Ericsson K850i phone
- Ipod Classic
- Numerous USB sticks
- A whole bunch of GTD stuff i.e. labeller, filing cabinet, folders, etc.

Many thanks,
Barry.
 
Content Guardian;56379 said:
I really want to use ALL of them, but at the same time, I don't want to over-complicate things.
...
The equipment I have:

- Palm TX PDA
- Alphasmart Neo
- Treo 750 phone
- Acer Laptop (Win XP)
- Macintosh Powerbook
- Olympus Dictaphone
- Numerous Moleskine notebooks
- Archos 605 Wi-Fi
- Motorola V3 phone
- Sony Ericsson K850i phone
- Ipod Classic
- Numerous USB sticks
- A whole bunch of GTD stuff i.e. labeller, filing cabinet, folders, etc.

Hast thou tried paper, my son? :)
OK, seriously, most of that stuff isn't going to help you. Pick a PDA (Treo or TX) and laptop combination that you are willing to use on an everyday basis, and has software that synchronizes reliably for you.
 
I think you're right, you are confusing yourself. I am a computer professional. I work on computers. My hobbies are done on computers. I have published a number of things about computers. My personal GTD tool? A paper notebook. It's what works for me. Use as many has you have to, but as few as you can.
 
I understand the Content Guardian's dilemma. I have the same problem around here. I started to implement GTD with google notebook, and guess what? ..it works until the moment I have no internet connection :???:

I need to convince myself that simplicity - as considered by darlakbrown - is the key to successful implement GTD.

I'm also a computer guy, and I have some difficulty to accept the fact that using paper is really the best resource I now have to implement GTD. Sometimes I think: "Hey, I'm a computer guy, I should use no paper". "I master all computer tools, it will look bad if I use paper"...
The point is, I need (as I think you also need) to implement GTD (and anything else) with the simplest tool you can find, master and be 24/7 available to your eyes.
KISS

joão
 
Top