Help!

A

Anonymous

Hello,
I've been working with GTD for about a year, but I still struggle with many aspects of the program. I also struggle with not being able to make decisions on what type of capturing tools to use. As DA mentions on his CD's, a man with one watch always knows the correct time. A man with two watches is really never sure what time it is. I'm in outside sales, I hava great pocket pc, and a paper planner. I like paper, because it's easier to read at a quick glance, I like the PDA, because my writing is so bad. I have my lists in both place, and it's really causing me to be more unproductive. I also have a question regarding the "calls" list. WHen I need to call a prospect I put it in the Calender. If I call him and I'm unable to reach him, do I put that name back on my list or add it to the next day in my calender, keeping in mind this is a priority call? Overall I love GTD, I just wish I would buckle down and really put it to use. I've spent too much time and money on PDA's, planners and systems. I'm like one of those compulsive people written in previous threads. Any ideas?

Ambar

Registered
Re: Help!

[quote="mikey]I also struggle with not being able to make decisions on what type of capturing tools to use. As DA mentions on his CD's, a man with one watch always knows the correct time. A man with two watches is really never sure what time it is. I'm in outside sales, I hava great pocket pc, and a paper planner. I like paper, because it's easier to read at a quick glance, I like the PDA, because my writing is so bad. I have my lists in both place, and it's really causing me to be more unproductive.[/quote]

Your "capture tool" does not need to be the same thing as your "next actions list". If I had the setup you describe, I would carry a pad of paper as an anywhere sort of capture tool, and then throw those notes into the inbox and process them on a daily basis, recording the next actions on the Palm (or Palm Desktop). As you rightly point out, having lists in both places causes you to trust neither and wastes your time.

A

Anonymous

Re: Help!

"mikey"]Hello,
I've been working with GTD for about a year, but I still struggle with many aspects of the program. I also struggle with not being able to make decisions on what type of capturing tools to use. As DA mentions on his CD's, a man with one watch always knows the correct time. A man with two watches is really never sure what time it is. I'm in outside sales, I hava great pocket pc, and a paper planner. I like paper, because it's easier to read at a quick glance, I like the PDA, because my writing is so bad. I have my lists in both place, and it's really causing me to be more unproductive. I also have a question regarding the "calls" list. WHen I need to call a prospect I put it in the Calender. If I call him and I'm unable to reach him, do I put that name back on my list or add it to the next day in my calender, keeping in mind this is a priority call? Overall I love GTD, I just wish I would buckle down and really put it to use. I've spent too much time and money on PDA's, planners and systems. I'm like one of those compulsive people written in previous threads. Any ideas?
[/quote][/quote]

J

jmarkey

It's risky having two separate systems if they're not continuously in sync. Have you tried entering all data into the Pocket PC and then working off a daily printout? Sometimes I print out my next actions lists because it's easier to look at them on paper. If I need to add something to the system (I use plain vanilla Palm desktop and PDA), I can jot it down on paper, throw it in my inbox and enter the data when I process my inbox.

For the important telephone call, you could put it on your calendar for the next day or put it on your next action context list with a priority status or due date. I usually don't designate priorities or due dates, so the items that I do mark with a due date or priority really stand out.