How to do - self-study courses ?

Jabbe

Registered
Another problem I have with GTD is how I should be able to do a self-study course (e.g. Barnes&Noble GTD or a programming course).

They are alway too long to do in one sequence, so I have to split it up in steps. I guess the next action is to read chapter 1. When that is done, change NA to chapter 2 and so on?

I also use my Palm to sort out my NAs, but the 'doing phase' gives me too many choices, and this kind of activity never seems to get to the top.

I think it is a general problem with GTD: long projects, with relatively low priority, never reaches to the top of the pile. There are always other more short-term things that feels more important to do.

I think this is a 'life balance' issue, low priority projects should eventually emerge to the surface, and you are forced, sooner or later, to deal also with those.
But this feels as a contradiction to GTD, where it is more up to your feelings and daily situation, to select what you want to do. And then my experience is that 'low prio' will always be deselected.

Is there anyone around who have succeeded in doing self-study courses in GTD perspective? Please tell me how!

tallmarvin

Registered
Forget the concept of 'long projects' and focus on the next actions that will get those projects (eventually) done.

Life could be considered a (long-term) project, but you only get to live it one day at a time. Why should other projects be handled any differently? :)

Jabbe

Registered
Still not clear to me ...

tallmarvin said:
Forget the concept of 'long projects' and focus on the next actions that will get those projects (eventually) done.

Life could be considered a (long-term) project, but you only get to live it one day at a time. Why should other projects be handled any differently? :)

I have identified NA for the project, but still, when selecting from the list of NAs, this kind of actions never quite seem to be urgent enough to deal with, that's the problem. :wink:

Is there a need for some priority handling, or is DA's principle for selection 'by feeling' working well for you?

tallmarvin

Registered
There will always be a need for priority handling at some point, but for the most part, doing the next actions will be enough...just doing the actions. Prioritizing can sometimes get in the way, and I'm not smart enough to always know when 'project 1a' is really that much more important than '3a'. I usually go with the 'feeling' tone on which action to do next, sometimes I want to be stubborn and work on something that is on the surface, not as big a priority...no big deal IF I go back ASAP and get the other projects going too...

For me, the best part of GTD is the freedom to 'dumb down' my system .

Besides, someone on these boards said it well a while back...''they're my projects...they're all priorities...that's why they're on the list". (And having the S/M list keeps you honest!)

chris

Registered
I think the answer MIGHT BE priorities don't matter when you're on top of things

'when it shows up, rather than blows up' is David's motto

I'm not there yet ! so as I'm still in firefighting mode, I need priorities to help out

What keeps me on the GTD track is that I reckon that when I ever get to doing regular weekly reviews, I will be operating at a higher level and so urgency will reduce, making it easier to choose what is important to accomplish whatever are the objectives

So - priorities are a problem until we get the system ticking along like it should

Anyone actually there yet ?? :D

A

Anonymous

Priorities?

Chris

I dont think that it would be wise or even possible not to prioritize. I mean, to consider planting the tulips to be on the same level of priority as fixing the broken water heater would be more along the lines of insanity (and ultimately stress-increasing).

A

Anonymous

Priorities?

Chris

I dont think that it would be wise or even possible not to prioritize. I mean, to consider planting the tulips to be on the same level of priority as fixing the broken water heater would be more along the lines of insanity (and ultimately stress-increasing).

chris

Registered
DM, you 're right

At the 10 seconds of the action point, we of course have to decide what to do vs the next thing, but, following the GTD concept, there will be less urgent and difficult priorisation issues if we create a project and next action for these when we first get them into our in tray, rather than when things are hitting the fan !

So prioritisation seems to be an issue now, because we arent' operating at the right level yet - when we do, I expect that prioritisation will be clearer and manageable (less spinning the wheels..)

Not the voice of experience yet though :shock: