How to find your contexts? Or use projects as the view instead?

folke123

Registered
Hi all!

I am trying to get into GTD and one of the things that are bugging me a bit is contexts. I work as a software developer (currently at home) and I am a bit of a nerd so a lot of my personal projects are also computer-related.

The context I currently use are:
  • @Private
  • @Work (I have separated them even though they are done on the same computer, or "private" are 90% computer tasks and 10% other home tasks)
  • @Errands
  • @"With girlfriend" - This one is mostly empty since we do not do as many "projects" that need to be planned before together
I am feeling that this seems OK but not perfect. Basically, 85% is in my two contexts "Private" and "Work" (And they could realistically be (Should be?) in one context called @Computer. I have only separated them since I don't want to see my private things when I should be working since that would distract me)

Is this "How it should be"? I have seen some people suggest splitting up the list to the tool you use like @dev-environment @mail but I don't really see the benefit of that, I usually try to keep my NA lists short (while adding new things from the projects/moving projects from S/M to active if the actions run dry) so these even shorter lists by tool might only have 1-2 items in them which seems more hassle than it is worth.

Is working "By project" an alternative instead of by context? For work I try, when I am not blocked by external stuff, to work on one thing at a time. So I might have the task "Implement feature X" where the tasks might be:

• Clarify what is wanted (talk with someone)
  • Make a plan on how I think it could be implemented
  • Google a few things
  • Program and try to follow my plan (and here I am googling stuff constantly) - this takes 1 hour to 2 weeks, with talking with colleagues if I get stuck
Working through that and trying to make progress here seems to get more stuff done for me than thinking "now I browsed for some info for my development task, let me see what other things I have to browse about in my @webbrowser context)

But then I am not working out of my contexts but instead working based on my project which is not what I should do according to DA? (Or well I am still working in my @work context, but I would not if I would have had more specific contexts)

Maybe I am missing something with the contexts? Or maybe I am privileged that I COULD switch contexts very fast since they basically are all done on the same computer? (And I also have in my professional life the possibility to work on only a few things at the same time) I can see the value more if the contexts are different physical locations since then doing project 1 first and going to place B and then going back to Place A to start on project 2 and then having to go back to place B would be a waste of time. But it is quite seldom that my projects make me go somewhere else (and then I would switch to another project)

Do you have any other contexts or context tips for me?
Ones I have thought about and would want your input on are:

@Daily Actions (I have some stuff I want to get done every day, read for 30 mins, walk 6000 steps, meditate a few minutes, and a few more) I currently just add these to my private list every morning
@"My Side hustle" - I also run a side business, I have thought about the idea to use that as a context? It is a software-based side hustle so it is also done on the same computer. I am not sure what the "win" would be more than to have these actions separated from the rest of my private actions (I currently have this side hustle as an area of focus)

So to summarize I think my questions are:
1) Should I work out of my projects instead of my contexts? Why do you think it would be a good idea? why not?
2) What do you think of my suggested extra contexts or do you have any other context tips?

GTDengineer

Registered
Your contexts look good, and are appropriate for you. The GTD next action list is not an all inclusive task list. It’s more like a ‘bookmark’ so you can easily start where you left off. Once you get in the flow of work, you can keep on one project as long you like.

TesTeq

Registered
1) Should I work out of my projects instead of my contexts? Why do you think it would be a good idea? why not?
@folke123 It seems to be a personal preference. I'm a project oriented guy (switching contexts to make current project's actions done) but there are people who are context oriented (switching projects to make current context's actions done).

Gardener

Registered
Working through that and trying to make progress here seems to get more stuff done for me than thinking "now I browsed for some info for my development task, let me see what other things I have to browse about in my @webbrowser context)

But then I am not working out of my contexts but instead working based on my project which is not what I should do according to DA? (Or well I am still working in my @work context, but I would not if I would have had more specific contexts)

If you get more done working by project, work by project. I haven't seen that DA demands that you change projects in order to remain in a context.

For me, the usefulness of contexts is:

- Catching opportunities. If I'm running errands, it would be useful to be reminded to return that library book. In the olden days when computer tasks might have required going to the computer room for my workstation-time appointment (Yes, I'm thinking of college here, and, yes, I'm that old.), I'd have liked to have a list of computer tasks.
- Eiminating tasks that I absolutely cannot do. For example, I can't do those garden tasks if I'm on an airplane.
- Other specific situations--for example, it's handy to have a "brainless" context for when my mind is just not going to do anything real. Or if I'm getting out the bucket and the mop and putting on my deep-cleaning clothes, it would be annoying to forget some cleaning task.

But outside those various exceptions, I work much better by sticking to a project than a context.

mcogilvie

Registered
@folke123 It seems to be a personal preference. I'm a project oriented guy (switching contexts to make current project's actions done) but there are people who are context oriented (switching projects to make current context's actions done).
I have projects which require thinking, writing and occasionally some coding. These often take time and focus, and my next action on such projects is usually a bookmark which pulls me into a project focus. Like TesTeq, right?

But I have email- and internet-related stuff to get done too. A lot of it is easy, but a lot of easy is still a lot. So most of that is done in context, where batching is advantageous. Just like David Allen says.

I try to work on important projects in project mode AND keep things moving in context mode every day. I don’t schedule time per we, but I am sensitive to the best times for different sorts of work. Almost like the time blocking Longstreet does!

Seriously, GTD is not a straightjacket, or one-size-fits-all coveralls, or even an off-the-rack pair of pants. It’s custom-made, hand-tailored.

Oogiem

Registered
So to summarize I think my questions are:
2) What do you think of my suggested extra contexts or do you have any other context tips?
To number 1: If it works for you to do your tasks by project than that's fine. Personally I work much better in general by context even when a bunch of them are on the same computer. That's why I've split my @computer context into 12 different ones based on the application I am using or which computer I am most efficient at doing them on. I have all of my computers and devices available when I am working at my desk so it's not like I have to switch location. But for me I get more done and make more progress when I batch actions by application even when it's across several projects. Here are my computer contexts:

Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 2.04.41 PM.png

For number 2: Again Try those contexts out and see if they work for you. I create, use and delete contexts as I see fit. There is nothing that says you can't have a bunch of contexts that you created for a specific purpose or timeframe that you use for a while and then get rid of. I've had @before trip contexs of things that had to be done before we went somewhere and and @after trip for the things that had to be done first once we returned. I used to have several contexts for the various towns we went to for shopping. Now with the pandemic it's all in my @Down the hill context since we now tend to go to all the towns on a single trip and then not go out again for a month or so.

You should do what works and play with the setup until it feels right and helps you get your stuff done in a way that works for you.

cfoley

Registered
I like to keep my context lists short so that I can scan them quickly. If one gets much bigger than a screen then I look for a way to partition it. Similarly, I merge contexts if the lists get short and they might logically belong together. (eg I might merge 'email' with 'computer' but not with 'garden'.

I am also a software developer and something to think about is that a software system you work on for years might be an area of focus. It might also make sense to use it as a context. Then user stories or features can be projects or actions.