How to keep up with next actions and get it all done?

wilco

Registered
Hello forum members!

I have been reading the GTD book and implementing the system in the last couple of months and I've hit the next road block. I would like to get some advice on how to proceed.

The amount of inflow that I have on a daily basis is pretty big to the point that processing my inbox takes at least 30 minutes if not more on a daily basis. From this come new next actions that are "more important" then the next actions that are already on my lists. Now when going into "doing" mode and reviewing these lists to determine what to work on, I see actions like "buy new clothes" or "maintenance motorcycle" or "prune garden". Seeing these actions leaves me with a feeling of anxiety because they are important for me (I want to look good, I want my motorcycle to work properly, etc) but I never really get around to these things because new and more important "next actions" always arrive.

Simply stated I see two layers of anxiety;
1. The first is the anxiety of forgetting important things, this is alleviated by capturing according to GTD
2. The second is the anxiety of not being able to do all the things I want to do (my clothes are wearing out, my garden is blowing up, ..)

Does this simply mean I have to commit to less?

Thanks for thinking with me!
Wilco

1. The first is the anxiety of forgetting important things, this is alleviated by capturing according to GTD
@wilco Solved if you really capture everything.
2. The second is the anxiety of not being able to do all the things I want to do (my clothes are wearing out, my garden is blowing up, ..)
Use The Force (aka Someday/Maybe list), Luke! I mean: be realistic and move items you've got no capacity to work on to the Someday/Maybe list.
Yes. Say "NO" more often.

I believe that those are all very common issues – especially on the “system implementing” stage.

I can just simply say – keep practice, reflect on what you are doing, try to improve and check the progress.

As a quick tip I would suggest to consider processing your inbox twice a day – especially do not keep your inbox with 20 items to process in the evening. Clarifying and making decisions is difficult – do not let it build up. Also for some items you can try to capture, clarify and organize them in one go – some tools – like Todoist – makes it quite easy.

I also think that you will feel more anxious if you not record what would you like to do – so I suggest to keep capture your commitments.

Please also watch the below short video:

I believe that those are all very common issues – especially on the “system implementing” stage.

I can just simply say – keep practice, reflect on what you are doing, try to improve and check the progress.

As a quick tip I would suggest to consider processing your inbox twice a day – especially do not keep your inbox with 20 items to process in the evening. Clarifying and making decisions is difficult – do not let it build up. Also for some items you can try to capture, clarify and organize them in one go – some tools – like Todoist – makes it quite easy.

I also think that you will feel more anxious if you not record what would you like to do – so I suggest to keep capture your commitments.

@Lucas W. ,

Indeed . . . the brain's Phantasm [Memory-&-Imagination] can be such an intrinsic biological 'killer app' at seamlessly badgering one's emotions to anxiously exhaust oneself into depressive submission with only enough energy to only remember to dream-up more endless worries?

Hopefully without sounding stoically unempathetic, the best extrinsic antidote found to date are GTD methodologies / protocols utilized as one best sees fit . . . doing at least some GTD will be at least be some less of the unnecessary sad same ?

Next-Action: Write [Walk] it all out . . . for at least some additional unoccupied head space . . . something is always better than nothing . . . all for the cost of a couple of pieces of paper from the recycle bin . . . what's not to love?

As you see GTD fit . . . to forget everything while 'remembering' everything

Last edited:
Hello forum members!

I have been reading the GTD book and implementing the system in the last couple of months and I've hit the next road block. I would like to get some advice on how to proceed.

The amount of inflow that I have on a daily basis is pretty big to the point that processing my inbox takes at least 30 minutes if not more on a daily basis. From this come new next actions that are "more important" then the next actions that are already on my lists. Now when going into "doing" mode and reviewing these lists to determine what to work on, I see actions like "buy new clothes" or "maintenance motorcycle" or "prune garden". Seeing these actions leaves me with a feeling of anxiety because they are important for me (I want to look good, I want my motorcycle to work properly, etc) but I never really get around to these things because new and more important "next actions" always arrive.

Wilco
One thing that GTD is REALLY good at is showing you just how overcommitted you are! We all have the same experience I reckon. Capturing does alleviate the anxiety of missing things, so you're 100% on that, but it does have the nasty habit of showing you just every darn thing you've agreed to do.
I second the use of Someday Maybe - I divide mine up to keep it manageable into Soon-ish, Someday and Maybe.

David suggests prioritising by context: energy, location etc. - is this something you are doing? It can be helpful to develop your own contexts that work for you. Eisenhower Matrix can be a useful tool, and I'm a great fan of delegating wherever possible as well - so for example, do you need to service your motorcycle or can you take it into a garage and have them do it?

Something to think about: Are these "more important" NAs ACTUALLY more important or are they just shouting more loudly?

If I feel like my NAs are getting out of hand, I have a few things I do to try and tackle it -
1) "Focus Day" is usually focus on one particular project or topic - like the garden, house cleaning or a specific project that needs a push. It's not 100% of the day necessarily, but I'll make sure to spend considerably more effort on it that day than I would normally.
2) NA Attack - I pick out a sublist of NAs that I can realistically do and blitz them one after the other - they're usually unrelated but I might go for a particular context "I can do all of these sitting at the computer" for example
3) A targeted review of NAs and Projects, just to shake out anything that needs to get parked over in S/M, ID anything that actually needs to be prioritised or perhaps I can delegate.
4) Time blocking - not recommended by David but I do use it sometimes for things that have a degree of time criticality, which could even include things like mowing the lawns - it's going to rain tomorrow so it has to be done today once the grass is dry enough - or just to take some time to clear a bunch of smaller tasks.

But absolutely start saying no to things. Especially to yourself!

Use The Force (aka Someday/Maybe list), Luke! I mean: be realistic and move items you've got no capacity to work on to the Someday/Maybe list.

Yes. Say "NO" more often.
Thanks for your reply! But it still doesn't answer my question about anxiety of the growing someday/maybe list that I never get around to. It feels more like a should-do-someday-but-I-dont-have-the-time-for-it list

"Clarifying and making decisions is difficult", this is a good point. Thanks! also thanks for the video, that gave me some insights. I now made a task to make an overview of my commitments to get more insight into this.

@Lucas W. ,

Indeed . . . the brain's Phantasm [Memory-&-Imagination] can be such an intrinsic biological 'killer app' at seamlessly badgering one's emotions to anxiously exhaust oneself into depressive submission with only enough energy to only remember to dream-up more endless worries?

Hopefully without sounding stoically unempathetic, the best extrinsic antidote found to date are GTD methodologies / protocols as one best sees fit . . . doing at least some GTD will be at least be some less of the unnecessary sad same ?

Next-Action: Write [Walk] it all out . . . for at least some additional unoccupied head space . . . some it so much better than none for the cost of a couple of pieces of paper from the recycle bin ?

As you see GTD fit . . . to forget everything while 'remembering' everything
To be honest I have trouble reading your post because the grammar used is not what I am used to, but what I get out of it is to write this "stress" out, which is to write out my commitments. Thanks!

One thing that GTD is REALLY good at is showing you just how overcommitted you are! We all have the same experience I reckon. Capturing does alleviate the anxiety of missing things, so you're 100% on that, but it does have the nasty habit of showing you just every darn thing you've agreed to do.
I second the use of Someday Maybe - I divide mine up to keep it manageable into Soon-ish, Someday and Maybe.

David suggests prioritising by context: energy, location etc. - is this something you are doing? It can be helpful to develop your own contexts that work for you. Eisenhower Matrix can be a useful tool, and I'm a great fan of delegating wherever possible as well - so for example, do you need to service your motorcycle or can you take it into a garage and have them do it?

Something to think about: Are these "more important" NAs ACTUALLY more important or are they just shouting more loudly?

If I feel like my NAs are getting out of hand, I have a few things I do to try and tackle it -
1) "Focus Day" is usually focus on one particular project or topic - like the garden, house cleaning or a specific project that needs a push. It's not 100% of the day necessarily, but I'll make sure to spend considerably more effort on it that day than I would normally.
2) NA Attack - I pick out a sublist of NAs that I can realistically do and blitz them one after the other - they're usually unrelated but I might go for a particular context "I can do all of these sitting at the computer" for example
3) A targeted review of NAs and Projects, just to shake out anything that needs to get parked over in S/M, ID anything that actually needs to be prioritised or perhaps I can delegate.
4) Time blocking - not recommended by David but I do use it sometimes for things that have a degree of time criticality, which could even include things like mowing the lawns - it's going to rain tomorrow so it has to be done today once the grass is dry enough - or just to take some time to clear a bunch of smaller tasks.

But absolutely start saying no to things. Especially to yourself!
Awesome answer, thanks! you gave me inspiration for things to try. I do have split my next actions in context lists: Work, In Between, Groceries, Home, Errands, Computer, Studying, Anywhere, Girlfriend, Waiting for and a tickler.

However, I do notice that I am regularly going through multiple lists at a time (e.g. when I am behind my computer at home I check In between, Home, Computer, Anywhere) and that does feel a bit stressful. It feels like I "should" be only looking at one list, one item at a time, but I'm not sure. I am curious about your thoughts about this, could you share it with me? @HelenM, @Lucas W.

Hello forum members!

Wilco
@wilco,

Re-read your post . . . anxiety is no fun . . . is defined on this end as 'undefined fear' . . . feeling afraid without nothing what it is being feared . . . 'unbridled imagination' raising its ugly head ?

Perhaps moving some Projects to higher Horizons to create Space for greater calm might be a viable GTD strategy?

Wish the concept of Space was appreciated sooner as a vital life-giving GTD goal that can contribute to "Mind Like Water"

As you see GTD fit

Last edited:
However, I do notice that I am regularly going through multiple lists at a time (e.g. when I am behind my computer at home I check In between, Home, Computer, Anywhere) and that does feel a bit stressful. It feels like I "should" be only looking at one list, one item at a time, but I'm not sure. I am curious about your thoughts about this, could you share it with me? @HelenM, @Lucas W.
If it's feeling a bit stressful, then something's not working right. Perhaps you need more granularity in your contexts, or less? Are your lists really well clarified or do you still have thinking to do about them? That can be a real energy drain. You are supposed to feel comfortable about the things you're not doing, and I find usually when I'm NOT feeling ok about it, it's because either I'm procrastinating or I haven't really clarified what I actually need to do about it.
I think you might have to have a really serious look at how many items you have and what is realistically going to get done at some point, I couldn't do it straight away but eventually I broke a lot of things into my S/M lists and nothing exploded, so it's worth experimenting.

I "should" be only looking at one list, one item at a time
I look at all my NAs daily, often several times a day, but I currently have c70 actions so it's not a crazy huge list. I slimmed it down by parking some things in my Soon-ish list - these are things I will do, but not right now. There's no right and wrong here, but I scan my lists (they're colour coded!) and go OK, what can I do today / in this spare 20 minutes / outside as the weather's nice etc. So one list, but I consider multiple items. My S/M list I review weekly at a minimum, but it sometimes gets an eyeballing during the week as well. Embrace the SM list, it doesn't mean "I'm never doing this" it's just a parking lot for ideas and things you might like to do.
You might also need to look at your general time usage as well. What are you actually doing with your time? Using those pockets of "weird time" in between things can be a real boost to your getting things done capability. I found I was spending way more time than I realised scrolling my phone. I've cut it back and now have more opportunity to get little jobs done, and I'm more mindful about how I use my downtime. I still scroll my phone, but it's more deliberate now. I'd also review David's prioritisation methods, see if there are any nuggets there for you to think about.

This is my inner consultant coming out, so apologies, but I would recommend re-reading your own post because you are circling around the root of the problem you're having and the solution, specifically: "... not being able to all the things I want to do" and "...I have to commit to less".

In essence, now that you have a full inventory of all of the "stuff" in your world and you can clearly see all of your commitments: you now realize that you are over committed. Not an unusual problem at all for people starting out with GTD.

The next step is something you've been subconsciously alluding to: priorities. You have more "stuff" than time to do it all in. This is a fact of life. You are going to have to make some choices, renegotiate commitments, and determine what is important to you.

There are two great sayings applicable here:

"There is no one busy in this world, it's always about priorities. You will always find time for the things you feel are important" - Unknown AFAIK
"If it's a priority, you'll find a way [you'll make time]. If it isn't, you'll find an excuse [you'll make an excuse]" - Jim Rohn

Another great tip from David Allen himself, somewhere in either the book or in interviews, is that you MUST give yourself permission to NOT do stuff and be okay with the things you're not doing. This is often a critical step many folks skip but eventually figure out. I learned this, myself, from watching Randy Pausch's lecture on time management (https://forum.gettingthingsdone.com/threads/contextualizing-why-we-do-gtd.18459/). Being productive or doing GTD is not about becoming some uber productive employee or human, it's about deciding what's important and making the time for the things that matter most to you.

You may be asking "How do I decide what's important?" Great question, there are many ways to approach it. Some use the Horizons of Focus model to help determine their priorities. Others use methods/techniques such as "What is the most painful or most top of mind thing for me, at the moment". Others review their lists and make ruthless choices about what's active and what is not. Others simply decide ad-hoc "I want to do X today or focus on Y goal this week, everything else be damned".

There is no silver bullet or perfect answer, it's all up to each individual for what works best for them. A good starting point is probably the Horizons of Focus model to get some relative structure and clarity but you may find other techniques more effective for your specific case, style, and personality.

Hi Wilco

I would say that things like "buy new clothes" or "maintenance of motorcycle" or (possibly) "prune garden" are more like areas (or sub-areas) of focus than next actions. To take the motorcycle example, can you actually do "maintenance of motorcycle" or is it a series of ongoing actions or routines? e.g. oil sprockets (I made this one up, knowing nothing about motorcycles :) ). And periodically, if you delegate (as suggested by HelenM) you would have a Project: Get motorcycle level 1 service completed by garage by date x. Next Action: phone garage to book service.
One other thing - are you doing your Weekly Review? The Weekly Review is absolutely crucial and a good way to replace anxiety with a greater sense of confidence and control.

@wilco,

Re-read your post . . . anxiety is no fun . . . is defined on this end as 'undefined fear' . . . feeling afraid without nothing what it is being feared . . . 'unbridled imagination' raising its ugly head ?

Perhaps moving some Projects to higher Horizons to create Space for greater calm might be a viable GTD strategy?

Wish the concept of Space was appreciated sooner as a vital life-giving GTD goal that can contribute to "Mind Like Water"

As you see GTD fit
Cool, thanks for the advice on Space :)

If it's feeling a bit stressful, then something's not working right. Perhaps you need more granularity in your contexts, or less? Are your lists really well clarified or do you still have thinking to do about them? That can be a real energy drain. You are supposed to feel comfortable about the things you're not doing, and I find usually when I'm NOT feeling ok about it, it's because either I'm procrastinating or I haven't really clarified what I actually need to do about it.
I think you might have to have a really serious look at how many items you have and what is realistically going to get done at some point, I couldn't do it straight away but eventually I broke a lot of things into my S/M lists and nothing exploded, so it's worth experimenting.

I look at all my NAs daily, often several times a day, but I currently have c70 actions so it's not a crazy huge list. I slimmed it down by parking some things in my Soon-ish list - these are things I will do, but not right now. There's no right and wrong here, but I scan my lists (they're colour coded!) and go OK, what can I do today / in this spare 20 minutes / outside as the weather's nice etc. So one list, but I consider multiple items. My S/M list I review weekly at a minimum, but it sometimes gets an eyeballing during the week as well. Embrace the SM list, it doesn't mean "I'm never doing this" it's just a parking lot for ideas and things you might like to do.
You might also need to look at your general time usage as well. What are you actually doing with your time? Using those pockets of "weird time" in between things can be a real boost to your getting things done capability. I found I was spending way more time than I realised scrolling my phone. I've cut it back and now have more opportunity to get little jobs done, and I'm more mindful about how I use my downtime. I still scroll my phone, but it's more deliberate now. I'd also review David's prioritisation methods, see if there are any nuggets there for you to think about.
"I found I was spending way more time than I realised scrolling my phone.", yes, this is true for me as well. I procrastinate but I can see that it also has to do with some next actions on my list feeling overwhelmingly large. I like your suggestion to move more things to my S/M list, to clarify my next actions even more and make them smaller, and to allow myself downtime but be more deliberate about it. Thanks a lot for the follow-up!

This is my inner consultant coming out, so apologies, but I would recommend re-reading your own post because you are circling around the root of the problem you're having and the solution, specifically: "... not being able to all the things I want to do" and "...I have to commit to less".

In essence, now that you have a full inventory of all of the "stuff" in your world and you can clearly see all of your commitments: you now realize that you are over committed. Not an unusual problem at all for people starting out with GTD.

The next step is something you've been subconsciously alluding to: priorities. You have more "stuff" than time to do it all in. This is a fact of life. You are going to have to make some choices, renegotiate commitments, and determine what is important to you.

There are two great sayings applicable here:

Another great tip from David Allen himself, somewhere in either the book or in interviews, is that you MUST give yourself permission to NOT do stuff and be okay with the things you're not doing. This is often a critical step many folks skip but eventually figure out. I learned this, myself, from watching Randy Pausch's lecture on time management (https://forum.gettingthingsdone.com/threads/contextualizing-why-we-do-gtd.18459/). Being productive or doing GTD is not about becoming some uber productive employee or human, it's about deciding what's important and making the time for the things that matter most to you.

You may be asking "How do I decide what's important?" Great question, there are many ways to approach it. Some use the Horizons of Focus model to help determine their priorities. Others use methods/techniques such as "What is the most painful or most top of mind thing for me, at the moment". Others review their lists and make ruthless choices about what's active and what is not. Others simply decide ad-hoc "I want to do X today or focus on Y goal this week, everything else be damned".

There is no silver bullet or perfect answer, it's all up to each individual for what works best for them. A good starting point is probably the Horizons of Focus model to get some relative structure and clarity but you may find other techniques more effective for your specific case, style, and personality.
Thank you for being straight forward and mirroring my post back to me! I think you are right on point about having to prioritize my commitments. Your reply is a catalyst for me to make conscious time for this. And thank you for the link to the lecture, it looks like a very valuable source of tips and inspiration.

Hi Wilco

I would say that things like "buy new clothes" or "maintenance of motorcycle" or (possibly) "prune garden" are more like areas (or sub-areas) of focus than next actions. To take the motorcycle example, can you actually do "maintenance of motorcycle" or is it a series of ongoing actions or routines? e.g. oil sprockets (I made this one up, knowing nothing about motorcycles :) ). And periodically, if you delegate (as suggested by HelenM) you would have a Project: Get motorcycle level 1 service completed by garage by date x. Next Action: phone garage to book service.
One other thing - are you doing your Weekly Review? The Weekly Review is absolutely crucial and a good way to replace anxiety with a greater sense of confidence and control.
Good question. I have done the weekly review about 2 times in the last two months. It feels a bit overwhelming to do, and I feel like I could use the time better for studying or something else. But you are helping me realize the worth of doing a weekly review so I will put in effort to do it more often and make it a habit. How much time do you spent on doing the weekly review?

"I found I was spending way more time than I realised scrolling my phone.", yes, this is true for me as well. I procrastinate but I can see that it also has to do with some next actions on my list feeling overwhelmingly large. I like your suggestion to move more things to my S/M list, to clarify my next actions even more and make them smaller, and to allow myself downtime but be more deliberate about it. Thanks a lot for the follow-up!

Thank you for being straight forward and mirroring my post back to me! I think you are right on point about having to prioritize my commitments. Your reply is a catalyst for me to make conscious time for this. And thank you for the link to the lecture, it looks like a very valuable source of tips and inspiration.

Good question. I have done the weekly review about 2 times in the last two months. It feels a bit overwhelming to do, and I feel like I could use the time better for studying or something else. But you are helping me realize the worth of doing a weekly review so I will put in effort to do it more often and make it a habit. How much time do you spent on doing the weekly review?
@wilco,

Thank you for expressing your kind appreciation . . . you will undoubtedly also be delighted to hear the Space credit really goes to David Allen at his best . . . at least according to my humble liking

Ps. While small pieces of paper are sufficient for Capturing thoughts, ideas, 'instant head spacing,' ect. . . . however, when it comes to Planning [NPM], the more Space available the better . . . at lease an 8" x 11" piece of paper

Hello forum members!

Wilco
These insights are based on my personal experience and learnings over 15 years of practicing GTD. Hopefully, they can provide some additional perspectives to consider.

It's great to see you're delving deep into the GTD methodology and seeking advice on managing the overwhelm. From your message, it seems like the clarification phase of the GTD workflow could be a key area to refine. Specifically, the question "Is this actionable?" can often lead us quickly towards a "Yes," which fills up our next actions list or the someday/maybe bucket, potentially causing more anxiety. Here are some thoughts on adding depth to this phase:

1. Understanding Emotional Needs: Before committing to a "Yes," it's valuable to pause and ask, "What emotional needs am I trying to satisfy by doing this?" Anthony Robbins outlines six core emotional needs: certainty, variety, significance, connection/love, growth, and contribution. For instance, wanting to "buy new clothes" might fulfill the need for significance or certainty. By identifying the underlying need, you can better assess if there are alternative next actions that might satisfy these needs more effectively or with less impact on your overall system.
  2. Considering the Cost of Doing: Every action we commit to has an inherent cost, not just in terms of time, money and energy but also environmental impact. The nine planetary boundaries (climate change, biodiversity loss, biogeochemical flows, ocean acidification, land-system change, freshwater use, stratospheric ozone depletion, atmospheric aerosol loading, and introduction of novel entities) are crucial considerations. Currently, we have surpassed five or six of these boundaries, leading to significant consequences human beings, animals… capability to sustain living on our planet. Reflecting on the environmental cost of our actions can help prioritize tasks that align better with sustainable living. For example, before deciding to "wash the car," consider the energy, water, and chemical use involved and its broader environmental implications.
  3. Applying the Pareto Principle: If still in doubt, the Pareto Principle (80/20 rule) can be a powerful tool. It suggests that 80% of your outcomes likely come from 20% of your actions. Identifying which actions fall into that vital 20% can help streamline your list, ensuring you focus on what truly moves the needle.
Regarding the anxiety about not being able to do everything, consider the benefits of downsizing and simplifying your material life. By focusing on fewer material possessions and activities, you create more space for joy, connection, and personal well-being. Prioritizing your health and well-being can significantly reduce anxiety. For instance, tracking your sleep quality using a tool like the Oura ring can provide insights to improve your overall health. Quality sleep, better nutrition, and hydration with non-transformed foods can enhance your energy levels, making you more effective in your chosen next actions.

In summary, by adding these layers of questioning to the clarification phase, you can more thoughtfully discern what truly deserves your time and energy, reducing both physical and mental clutter.

Yes. Say "NO" m

Hello forum members!

Wilco
In addition to what @TesTeq said, Are you doing the weekly reviews? That would catch any missed items. Also the things you mentioned are projects. Buy new clothes may entail 2 or more next actions. Same with motorcycle maintenance. Prune garden next action may be prune roses. @home context. My guess is prune garden is a lot more daunting than prune roses.

On making NAs smaller. This is absolutely KEY if you're not an uber-motivated productivity machine (and who would want to be that!) So as an example, last year I had a lot of unexpected family commitments which meant I couldn't commit much time to my garden. I have an ongoing issue with couch grass taking over the borders, so a few months of unchecked growth meant when I could finally pick things up again I had a right problem on my hands! Initially I had "weed fence border" on my NAs. The fence border is c.15 metres long, and nearly a metre deep. That's a LOT and I was effectively telling myself "just go weed that whole 15 sq m border you lazy cow" which yeah, no. So I changed it to "start weeding fence border". All I needed to do was Start. I could do that! Once I started it, I changed the NA to "continue weeding." I'm about halfway through it now! I'd be out there now but the weather is not cooperating.

And do the Weekly Review! Mine now take about an hour to an hour and a half, depending on how deep I'm diving and whether I'm including some general planning as well like meals for the week ahead. I can do a mini review in about 20-30 minutes. Use David's checklist to start and get the process going, and then you can always tweak it to suit. As I tend to mini review through the week, I use my WR time to set up my bullet journal for the week, ink up my fountain pens, mull over my SM, check my NAs carefully for completions, action-ability and relevance, check inboxes / calendars and do a mind sweep. Then I do my meal and wardrobe planning and also see what fun activities we could do over the next couple of weeks.

@wilco: The someday/maybe list tends to grow. After a while, you’ll probably feel comfortable doing some deketing. You may want to re-organize, like putting together a single list of places you might visit someday. It’s not an all-at-once thing, but something that evolves as your life progresses. It’s even kind of fun to say “What was I thinking?” and delete things that just don’t fit. Sometimes things I delete go back on the list years later when circumstances change.