• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

How to Label Folders

Hello everyone, this is my first post.

I read through GTD and implemented
the system back in January. I'm reaping
the benefits nicely ... thanks David!

Recently I reviewed the system and
have realized that it is very important
to make sure your projects are defined
by the outcome you wish to attain.

Now the confusion I have, is how to
label my folders that have material
for these projects.

For example:

I develop web sites, and a project would
be to "Add contact page to web site".

Then I go and brainstorm this project, then
organize the thoughts on pen and paper. So then
I want to put these pages into a folder for
this project.

I'm resistant to label the folder by the
project name "Add contact page to web site" because
since i work on myany sites, I'll have a bunch of
folders that begin with "add" or "create" or
"write" which feels wrong.

I also don't want to label the project too
general, like "enhance site" because too many
other projects will be the same.

So in general, I want to know how people label
their physical project folders, or any thoughts
on this issue.

Thanks a bunch !
 
This is probably one of the few places where I deviate from the GTD book. I, too, am a web developer. On my projects list,the projects are labeled "Publish web site for xyz" or "Roll out xyz web site." However, the folder support names use a combination of the client name and the name of the website/system, for example, "XYZ: Request System".

I do think it's important to define the successful outcomes, especially on the project list. But I find project support folders easier to find with the names I've chosen.

That said, my personal project folders are labeled with the exact name of the project (example: "Prepare for settlement").
 
That's a good suggestion.

When I'm at work, all the projects pertain
to the same company, so there is no need for
"xyz".

--

Let me list a bunch of projects that I'm
struggling to write folders for.

- Enhance administration area to manage news
- Update administration to manage accounts
- Write an about us page
- Add title tags to all pages
- Create an FAQ page
- Add a privacy policy page

--

SO based on rossw's suggestion, probably what would work is:

- Administrtaion enhancement to manage news
- Administration update to manage accounts
- About us page added (or written)
- Title tags added to all pages
- FAQ page created
- Privacy Policy Page added

identify the folder with the page or section of the site it pertains to.

That'll have to do !
-
 
Top