how to manage GTD lists that are physically exists as a paper & in the computer (soft) exists

kerem parlakgumus

Registered
I have
1) Evernote GTD to do's (they are in my computer, not printed)
2) physical to do's (actionable items that are printed on a paper) in the drawer.

1) and 2) should be in sync all the time? or is it ok, some of the files, todo is in just computer (Evernote) and some of them in the drawer (printed)?

as I get some of the reference files will be both in computer & physically existent; some of the reference files will be only physically existent in the drawer right?
each paper that exists in the drawer, should be in my computer, Evernote, right?

how do you manage it?

vaughan76

Registered
I'm not totally sure I understand the question...but I have all of my tasks in Omnifocus, all of my calendar items in my digital calendar, and my reference material split into both paper files and digital files. I do not keep paper tasks because I prefer to keep them digital and all in the same place. Often, if I'm in a meeting, I copy down tasks along with my notes, but when I get back to my desk I get those tasks into Omnifocus (or I just do them immediately). I don't keep tasks floating around on paper. There are times where I might have a physical item like an article I need to read that I put in my inbox, but then I either read the article or put it in a "to read" file.

Is that what you're asking?

kerem parlakgumus

Registered
For example, there are PHYSICAL (PAPER BASED) REFERENCE FILES such as your electric bill, water bill, house deed, user manuals, business card somebody gives, letter from a lover:), wet-ink signed diploma/certificate, strecthing exercise paper that you need to take it with you when you go to the gym.

Moreover, there are SOFT (in my computer) REFERENCE FILES such as addresses, bank account information, checklists, Places to go, food recipe, direction to a specific restaurant.

For example, do you always scan you physical (paper based) reference files to put them in soft reference files? or physical paper based reference files (for example user manual of TV) stay there seperately, and you seperately have you soft your reference files? how do you manage your "physical paper based reference files" and "soft reference files"?

vaughan76

Registered
For example, there are PHYSICAL (PAPER BASED) REFERENCE FILES such as your electric bill, water bill, house deed, user manuals, business card somebody gives, letter from a lover:), wet-ink signed diploma/certificate, strecthing exercise paper that you need to take it with you when you go to the gym.

Moreover, there are SOFT (in my computer) REFERENCE FILES such as addresses, bank account information, checklists, Places to go, food recipe, direction to a specific restaurant.

For example, do you always scan you physical (paper based) reference files to put them in soft reference files? or physical paper based reference files (for example user manual of TV) stay there seperately, and you seperately have you soft your reference files? how do you manage your "physical paper based reference files" and "soft reference files"?

I personally don’t scan everything. I see no problem in having some physical files and some digital files.

kerem parlakgumus

Registered
I personally don’t scan everything. I see no problem in having some physical files and some digital files.

Vaughan76, hello!
Thank you very very much for the reply. It really helped me out to make up my mind.

For the PHYSICAL (PAPER BASED) REFERENCE FILES, do you store them in the skeleton of A - Z (alpha filing system) in the drawer? how are the other readers of this message store their physical, paper-based reference files in their drawer?

For the action needed things such as projects (active, passive, closed) do you keep them in your drawer in the skeleton of A-Z ? if not how do you organize your Projects in the drawer? do you organize, classify your projects like Closed Projects, Active Projects, Passive Projects

Thank you!

vaughan76

Registered
Vaughan76, hello!
Thank you very very much for the reply. It really helped me out to make up my mind.

For the PHYSICAL (PAPER BASED) REFERENCE FILES, do you store them in the skeleton of A - Z (alpha filing system) in the drawer? how are the other readers of this message store their physical, paper-based reference files in their drawer?

For the action needed things such as projects (active, passive, closed) do you keep them in your drawer in the skeleton of A-Z ? if not how do you organize your Projects in the drawer? do you organize, classify your projects like Closed Projects, Active Projects, Passive Projects

Thank you!

I keep physical files in a-z files in a drawer. If they are active project files, I tend to keep them on my desk for reference. Tasks associated with them go into OmniFocus. When they’re closed or passive they are filed in a drawer.

kerem parlakgumus

Registered
Vaughan76,

Thank you very very much for your response. These messaging traffic really helps me to understand, make mature the idea of GTD day by day with help of you, thank you so much. I really appreciate it :)

Since "every action" which needed more than one step is accepted as a "project", generally %80 of my to-do list becomes (turn into) a project. I have "active projects","closed projects" & "passive projects".

I understand that I will store my "closed projects" and "passive projects" in one of my drawer. (meaning one drawer is allocated only to "passive projects" and "closed projects") My "active projects" is on my desk labeled as "Current Projects Coming Toward Me" :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jA0fM13F4iA0JA-rFXN6k3mky9LPG1fh/view?usp=sharing

To sum up, one drawer (I have 4 drawers in total) will only keep "passive projects" and "closed projects" only? Those projects are arrayed, sorted, organized A-Z in my drawer.

how do you use your other drawers, what exactly in them? I am asking it, because I want to organize those 4 drawers in a usable way.