• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

How to organize travel coupons?

Can anyone suggest a best practice concerning travel coupons, the ones you get in credit card statements, etc. that typically offer a free rental car upgrade and have an expiration date.

I want to be able to find them easily, and not keep them past their expiration dates. So far, I have been tossing them into my Travel folder in my A-Z reference file. But, there is a lot of stuff in that file, and most of the coupons are out of date (will get culled at my annual review) so I have this aversion to picking up the file to search for a possible discount.

I am not convinced that creating a database and logging the coupons would work for me since there would be a lot of data entry.

As I am typing this I thought of the following:
1- Use the month folders from my 1-31 tickler to hold the coupons that expired the month before.
2- If a trip arises, I can look in the monthly folders for coupons.
3- At the start of each month when I normally take the items from the month folder and put them into the 1-31 folders, I can throw away the expired coupons without reading them.

Any comments from the GTD community?

-Ken
 
I travel with them!

Hi,

Actually, I just put them in my "travel" Action Support file.

The upgrade coupons, the discount coupons (,the drink coupons!) all "live" in my Action Support file.

When I travel that's with me, and, I don't want to have to "work" to remember them. I'm as streamline as I wished I was the last time I forgot something. (Does that make sense?)...
 
Re: I travel with them!

Jason Womack said:
Hi,

Actually, I just put them in my "travel" Action Support file.

I never thought of that. The reason why? I want to make choices about reservations based on the coupons and I never thought to look in the travel action support file at the time of making reservations since I make my reservations at the office. Your suggestion has good merit.

-Ken
 
Top