• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

I can I use GTD with writing?

I write the equivalent of a 1000 word essay every week. I'm interested in the experiences of people who write on a regular basis and have other responsibilities. Do you block out a certain day just for this? Do you prepare on other days to bring something to writing day? Do you find that you can mix writing with other projects?
 
I have a page for each item (article, essay, etc.) that I'm writing in my planner. I treat each one like a project so at the top of the page, I have the topic of the essay and then I jot down all of the ideas that occur to me. Then when I have a chance to actually write, I am well on my way. I have an entire section in my planner devoted to writing since I consider that one of my "contexts" and I have my planner sorted by context.
 
I also use projects for articles / ideas.

Using a PPC and the pigpog method, the article notes go into the "notes" section of the project.

Some articles are just a project title.

Some articles might sit and simmer for a while, being a collection of ideas / keywords / short sentences.

Others start out "almost finished" even in the note.

Either way, once I get around to work, I am ready to start.

:: emp ::
 
I'm a freelance writer as well, and I treat my writing endeavors -- be they articles, editing jobs, marketing collateral, or whatever -- as projects. For an article I'm working on right now, I have a template that I use in the note of my Palm's todo item:

__________Successful Outcome

__________ Sources

__________ Markets

__________ Next Actions

__________ Notes/History

Under each of these headings, I simply list the appropriate information, including the status of queries, submissions, etc. Simple, effective, and requiring a minimum of fiddling on my part.

If you think of a project as "anything requiring more than one action step to complete", this approach makes sense.

Tammy
 
I have an informal method

I have to write complex reports for work. They contain some data, observations, conclusions, recommendations. They are about 4 to 5 pages long.
When a report is in the "getting generated" stage, that is when I know I will be getting the data, then I start writing and after I get the data I write at least one part a day until it is done. Sometimes, it is just the heading and reason for the study. Sometimes, I have eyeballed tha data and the results are so robust that I can write a tenative conclusion and recommendation before I have written up the data. The later is tedious and requires total alertness so I do that in a high energy mode. My n/a is just "write part of report" unless I am stuck and need to do something very specific like locate a reference or check the data and make sure that the columns add up.

I could save myself a lot of time if I had templates and outlines but I am so poor at using the features of the computer that I don't. Also, sometimes one part of the report requires more careful thinking and wording than another and I often want to do that first.

I have read that the most productive writers, write about the same amount every "work" day. I think that one of the bigger challenges is keeping ones notes, references, etc. organized and accessible. I have also found that when I am blocked and can't write, it helps to write about why I am blocked.l
 
Top