I have the concept, it's the execution that is killing me.

ParkerB

Registered
I love this system, I tried it years ago but it did not work. I now have 14 days to implement this system before I move and open a general surgery practice. I need consistency, I have an android phone, an iPad, a windows laptop, and a pc. I set up my own personal exchange account and have tried outlook but there is too much variability from on device to another. I bought a voice recorder $200, to use with Dragon for when I am driving. Dragon says the audio quality is too poor.
If I am going to run a practice AND operate, I am going to need to get organized. I am not so much worried about the cost but, as I said, I have two weeks. Any help would be great. I could even through in a hernia repair or something!

Barb

Registered
Telecoaching

Could I recommend you contact the David Allen Co. and get some fast telecoaching? It is NOT expensive, targets exactly what you need and will have you up and running in no time.

A couple of hours with one of their coaches will save you a year of tinkering!

mcogilvie

Registered
I second Barb's suggestion. I will say that in my opinion a premature focus on technology is going to cause you difficulty. The three different platforms (iPad, android, windows) are not so easy to use together. Starting with paper might be your best option.

egallagher2k

Registered
I would suggest Evernote. With the various platforms you have, you can dump anything from anywhere on any platform and access it from any other device. make sure you are processing at least once a week. More often is better. I process daily.

pj3

Registered
Focus on the Process

I agree with mcogilvie. Keep it as simple as possible at first and just get the process in place. After you have implemented GTD and feel comfortable, then try integrating those other tools you have.
I tried to implement the system before and failed because I got caught up with all the tools. I would try a different tool each week. I started over and used just one program which allowed me to focus on the process.

ParkerB

Registered
I hate paper!

I appreciate the comments. I have decided, at least for the next several days to put it on paper to start and then see how I can transfer it electronically. My concern with paper is that I do not work out of one office and do not want to be without my system. A great example is the downtime between cases which can sometimes be over an hour. If I could just look at a list I could be more productive. I did start Evernote a while back but it just turned into too much noise. I downloaded the guide to using outlook but again, there is not a good version for the iPad. I do have one option, my wife has an iPhone and would gladly trade me for my android which might make it easier to have two systems instead of three.
In the end, I may have to go with coaching. It is against my nature to ask for help, but it likely will make the most sense.

Barb

Registered
Interesting response

ParkerB;98497 said:
I appreciate the comments. I have decided, at least for the next several days to put it on paper to start and then see how I can transfer it electronically. My concern with paper is that I do not work out of one office and do not want to be without my system. A great example is the downtime between cases which can sometimes be over an hour. If I could just look at a list I could be more productive. I did start Evernote a while back but it just turned into too much noise. I downloaded the guide to using outlook but again, there is not a good version for the iPad. I do have one option, my wife has an iPhone and would gladly trade me for my android which might make it easier to have two systems instead of three.
In the end, I may have to go with coaching. It is against my nature to ask for help, but it likely will make the most sense.

Against your nature to ask for help? I hope you get over that. :grin: Actually, the DAC company coaching clients probably include some of the most successful people out there. You're not a Connect member so you haven't heard the stories of the OB/GYN with a practice of 300,000 patients or the critical care doc and how she uses GTD...amazing stories and truly inspirational.

I was about 7 years into using GTD before I ever did telecoaching. My goal was just to see if there were things I could be doing that I wasn't doing, in order to make my system more powerful. All I can say is WOW! Given that you're struggling with "what's the right system"...believe me, you can't miss by giving it a try.

I do like the idea of getting your wife's iPhone. You could always consider Omnifocus on the iPad as your main system and download the same on the iphone. It depends on how much processing you do at your pc, but there is even a way around that.

Hopefully, though, you'll do the coaching and let us know how it goes.

TesTeq

Registered
Diverse bunch of electronic gear!

ParkerB;98463 said:
I love this system, I tried it years ago but it did not work. I now have 14 days to implement this system before I move and open a general surgery practice. I need consistency, I have an android phone, an iPad, a windows laptop, and a pc. I set up my own personal exchange account and have tried outlook but there is too much variability from on device to another. I bought a voice recorder $200, to use with Dragon for when I am driving. Dragon says the audio quality is too poor.

I would find managing so diverse bunch of electronic gear a Project or even an Area of Focus in itself!

ParkerB

Registered
Where is my GTD connect icon?

In response to a previous comment that I am not a GTD Connect member, I actually am. I just noticed that there is some icon next to each forum's name but not mine. Odd.

Barb

Registered
In THAT case!

ParkerB;98532 said:
In response to a previous comment that I am not a GTD Connect member, I actually am. I just noticed that there is some icon next to each forum's name but not mine. Odd.

Search the IN Conversation Library for Julie Flagg and Maude...gosh, I can't remember her last name. It was at least 3 years ago. Both BUSY physicians. You'll pick up some great ideas!

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
ParkerB;98532 said:

Hello ParkerB,

I have fixed this. You now have a GTD Connect Member icon, and it's retroactive to your previous posts. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, and for your forum participation.

Best,
John

hacker

Registered
ParkerB;98463 said:
If I am going to run a practice AND operate, I am going to need to get organized. I am not so much worried about the cost but, as I said, I have two weeks. Any help would be great. I could even through in a hernia repair or something!

Keep in mind that even David himself continues to state that it takes a minimum of two years to fully ingrain the concepts into your daily life.

Two weeks might get you through the books and start with your first couple of lists, but to fully engage in the GTD methodology to the point where it becomes second nature and intuitive, you're going to need a lot more than two weeks.

Besides, two weeks only gives you two weekly reviews, and that doesn't even cover the first month's worth of tasks and projects. You need more than two weeks, but it's a great start.

I'd second (third?) the other comments here; get some deep-dive personal coaching to get you started.

Barb

Registered
Retro

John Forrister;98534 said:
Hello ParkerB,

I have fixed this. You now have a GTD Connect Member icon, and it's retroactive to your previous posts. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, and for your forum participation.

Best,
John

I don't think the retro thing worked, John. :)

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Hello ParkerB and Barb,

The GTD Connect Member designation is showing up for me now. There may be a vBulletin forum software issue with having it show up retroactively. The main thing is whether it shows up for ParkerB going forward.

Best,
John

Attached files

Gardener

Registered
I assume that the PC (that is, Windows?) is unavoidable? I have OmniFocus on Mac, iPhone, and iPad, and love it, but the Mac side is pretty essential. Of course, you can run both MacOS _and_ Windows on a Mac... Hmmm.

mmurray

Registered
Barb;98501 said:
You could always consider Omnifocus on the iPad as your main system and download the same on the iphone.

Just watch out that Omnifocus on the iPad it isn't quite as usable as on the mac. On the mac there is a great facility enabling you clip emails straight from Mail into the OF inbox. The clipping in OF contains a link back to the original email making it easy to find it. I use this all the time to process my email. Apple restricts the amount apps on the iPad can talk to each other so this can't of clipping doesn't work.

Michael

PS: I don't have an iPad so treat my comment with caution. But I have read about this on the Omni website.

jesig

Registered
I would third the recommendation for coaching, if money is truly no object. Wish it were for me!

Also, if you're going into your own practice, may I recommend the $11 a pop to buy a GTD paperback for any admins who work with you as an excellent investment? That was how I got introduced to GTD--I had a smart boss. Even if the admin doesn't use the entire system (although many will--people who enjoy admin work enjoy having things streamlined), it will get them on board with your GTD practice. Plus, it'll help hold you accountable--my boss was struggling to implement GTD because his demands were a lot more vast than mine. I had a pat, beautiful system up in a week that forced him to use the techniques.

As to equipment, when I introduce people to GTD, aside from showing them some nifty tricks as far as e-mail management, I always encourage them to start with paper. If that means having a binder or moleskine with all your next actions scribbled out that is your life preserver for a few weeks or months, make it happen. It's soooo much easier, in my opinion, to understand collect, process, organize, review, and do when you aren't also trying to add to that, "Get all my devices to talk to each other and/or figure out what devices will work."

Get a pen, a binder, and some loose-leaf paper. Later, when you know what contexts you need, which ones need to sync where, and about how many NAs show up on any given list, you can add "Figure out higher-tech implementation" to your projects list.

enyonam

Registered
Can you fourth a suggestion???

:) ... if so, I fourth the coaching suggestion. And I would suggest getting more than one session to guide you through.

I think you've also got great suggestions here about don't concentrate so much on the technology but rather on the process, and give the process time.

I would also suggest that if you're going to be opening a new business or practice, you consider getting a personal assistant or virtual assistant even part time. If structured well, and I'm sure your coach can help you with this, they can be a great help at helping gather all kinds of requests, thoughts, next actions. I still manage my system, but it certainly helps to have one or two people to enter in tasks, create lists, and so forth.