• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

I'm having great difficulty learning GTD

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hazelip
  • Start date Start date
H

Hazelip

Guest
I can't read the damn book. There's just too much corporate speak for me to slog through. I find that as I'm reading, my mind wanders complete off-topic, and I have to go back and read a few paragraphs to a few pages at a time. This, in turn, frustrates me to no end, and then what I'm reading doesn't sink in.

Is there a quick-and-dirty guide to this system anywhere on the web? I just need to know the basic principles, how to capture, how to sort, how to define next actions, and how to review. I don't need to be served the Kool-Aid in a fine cut crystal goblet, a paper cup would work just fine, thank you.

This makes the second time in two years I've attempted to read this book. I can read through computer manuals and after-market books and user guides without hesitation or losing focus. But, though I've seen people benefit greatly from using GTD, I have no Earthly clue how any of you actually completed reading this thing.

I'm mostly interested in getting GTD going in an index card system as I've been toting around a few cards in my pocket for years. But, it was mostly a scratch pad and there was no organization to it at all. I'm very forgetful, and I really, desperately, need something like GTD in my life.

Thanks for your patience, and any help you may be able to provide.

-Jake

Edit:
I did find the following post: http://www.davidco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5446 and I think I'll be able to adopt/adapt this to meet my needs. But, I'm still finding some conceptual difficulty with assigning contexts and next actions. I don't normally have trouble understanding new concepts, so I really don't know if I can describe how truly frustrating this difficulty is for me.
 
A Few GTD Summaries

http://www.minezone.org/wiki/MVance/GettingThingsDone

http://www.gyford.com/phil/writing/2005/01/03/getting_things_d.php

http://www.davidco.com/blogs/jason/archives/2004/06/a_systematic_ap.html (jason Womack's summary of how he does the Weekly Review)

http://web.archive.org/web/20030712...F+Files/Articles/David+Allen+Summary(PDF).pdf

If you find any of these useful, I recommend you save the document if it is a PDF, or to Word or other document software, along with the URL so you know where you found it. I usually copy articles I like because things do tend to disappear from the web.

Carolyn
 
So, the book really isn't that hard to read. In fact, I thought it was much more approachable than other books in the genre (ever try to read the 8th Habit???). Seems like a mental block more than anything else. The audio would be a good start.

Else, just take it really slow. Some of the things don't click right away. Just slog a chapter a day. All the supplementals on the web I've seen are just that, supplementals.

Perhaps reviewing those other items will make the book a little more approachable for you.
 
Top