implementation

A

Anonymous

I've just finished reading the book, and like many it seems, having a little problem with the implementation phase. Remember, the book is directed with those of us who have "trouble" getting things done - such as implementing new ideas such as this. As a suggestion, I would really like to see a diagram, outline, flowchart, or some other one page "quick start" instruction guide. This is common when you are setting up computers, printers, digital cameras, etc.

Is there anyone out there who has the time and willingness to post this for me?

Thank you,

Ron

I

intrigueme@aol.com

Implementation

My constructive input would be to follow the "Workflow Processing Flowchart" found in David's Tips & Tools on this website. Print it out, and hang it at your desk. If you have your computer on a great deal - use it as wallpaper or the screen saver.

Then, I would go to Costco, or Staples, and get the cheapest plastic stacking trays that you can. Don't 'stack" them - leave them separate, and spread out in front of you. On your desk if possible, if not, on some other flat surface (even the floor). Let each tray represent one of the major phases on the diagram. Make a "backboard" for each one - either print a new sign with what the tray represents, or a copy of the Workflow Diagram where you've "highlighted" in color the phase of the process that is.

I would start on that level, and then worry about "noodling" the details below that later.

It is very easy to get obsessed with form, rather than function. There are many on here who have fallen into that "loop." "Which is better - Pocket PC or Palm?" "Find the Perfect Mindmapping Software," "Filing Software Apps," etc....

Don't worry about that additional "stuff." Set up something that is so "in your face" that you can't ignore it. In this case, with these "buckets" surrounding you, you would actually be sitting in the middle of the "Workflow Diagram" as you were processing your stuff" moving it from phase to phase and tray to tray. After it becomes a conditioned "reflex" (which takes about a month) you can start shifting your attention to the next level down. "Do I like Paper or Digital better?" "Legal or Letter size files?" etc...

I would start with this "Zen Minimalist" type of level. As someone else in another post said - they learned a martial art very slowly compared to others, but they feel they have a stronger foundation as a result.

T

terceiro

Diagrams

I was greatly helped by the resources on this site, specifically the Advanced Workflow Diagram. The regular ole basic workflow diagram is nice, too, but a little too simplified for me. This "advanced" version is really more like "GTD at-a-glance", which I think is very nice.

And I'll give a hearty 'hear-hear' to intigueme -- starting with the most basic, standard, zen-like implementation will give you the best chance of success. That's been my experience. More than once I've found I needed to step back and simplify my implementation, and moved back to the book.