• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

implementing GTD w/ relational database

  • Thread starter Thread starter iksrobyzrp
  • Start date Start date
I

iksrobyzrp

Guest
I want to implement a system where my Next Actions are rows in a relational database, one that I can carry around in my Treo 600.

Fields will be: Action, Context, Project, ActionDate, etc.

At least three advantages: 1) separate action lists (i.e., @phone, @store) not necessary: simply run parameter query on Context field; 2) separate tickler system not necessary: simply run query on ActionDate<=Today ...incubating items filter out and become visible only on/after their ActionDate; 3) find all of a project's Next Actions by running a parameter query on Project field.

Questions: (1) any advice on structuring this system, from those of you who have set it up this way ? (2) I am new to PDAs...any of you ready to help me get an Access-esque DB onto my Treo?
 
Setting up GTD in a relational database

What application are you using to develop your setup? I have done extensive work in HanDbase ( go to palm gear and search for Pro Manger or Gentek.) Pro Manager was built from the ground up targeted for GTD. You may get some ideas.

Hope I helped
George
 
Re: implementing GTD w/ relational database

iksrobyzrp said:
I want to implement a system where my Next Actions are rows in a relational database, one that I can carry around in my Treo 600.

It sounds like a fun project. I know I have been tempted to write my own system.

Do you already practice GTD? If you don't, I advise that you practice GTD on paper, on a plain-vanilla PDA, or in a spreadsheet first for at least six months. Otherwise, you won't know what you need or want in a system.

We computer people would much rather put together a database than get things done. But we must fight the urge! :)
 
Top