• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

implementing GTD w/ relational database

  • Thread starter Thread starter iksrobyzrp
  • Start date Start date
I

iksrobyzrp

Guest
I posted this previously on the other forum; probably more appropriate here...

I want to implement a system where my Next Actions are rows in a relational database, one that I can carry around in my Treo 600.

Fields will be: Action, Context, Project, ActionDate, etc.

At least three advantages: 1) separate action lists (i.e., @phone, @store) not necessary: simply run parameter query on Context field; 2) separate tickler system not necessary: simply run query on ActionDate<=Today ...incubating items filter out and become visible only on/after their ActionDate; 3) find all of a project's Next Actions by running a parameter query on Project field.

Questions: (1) any advice on structuring this system, from those of you who have set it up this way ? (2) I am new to PDAs...any of you ready to help me get an Access-esque DB onto my Treo?

P.S. On second thought, maybe just an Excel-type spredsheet with filters would work...
 
Relational database manager on Palm OS device.

I do not think it is the best way to implement GTD on Palm OS device using Access-like database or other relational database manager. This device has its own Personal Information databases (Calendar, Contacts, Todo, Memo) that you can use for GTD or try the third-party software (Bonsai, Life Balance, or Shadow Plan for example).
TesTeq
 
relatinal database

check out DDH Software's HandBase for the program and at PocketGear.Com you can get a database written for it Called ProManage - it's a database for HandBase built around GTD
 
Re: Relational database manager on Palm OS device.

TesTeq said:
I do not think it is the best way to implement GTD on Palm OS device using Access-like database or other relational database manager.
I agree fully with TesTeq here.

TesTeq said:
This device has its own Personal Information databases (Calendar, Contacts, Todo, Memo) that you can use for GTD or try the third-party software (Bonsai, Life Balance, or Shadow Plan for example).
My personal favorite for GTD on PALM is notestudio.

Yours
Alexander
 
Top