In Conversation: Meghan Wilker

Barb

Registered
Well! I must say I found this "In Conversation" the most interesting yet! What a smart and amazing woman! I've also already found her on Twitter.

Lots of great nuggets here. Women especially SHOULD NOT MISS THIS ONE!

slmlem@aol.com

Registered
Meghan was awesome

David's interview was wonderful with Meghan. Great info for us working Moms! Thanks GTD for bringing us this new perspective.

Susan

MiataPops

Registered
Good Tip on Calendaring

The best tip from Meghan for me was the tip on Google calendars. I set several up for my wife to link to her iCal calendar. She is not a GTDer, so maybe this will help me steer her in that direction. Meghan's insights on GTD were very interesting.

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Meghan recording

If you want to follow Meghan on Twitter, she's got very entertaining Tweets. You'll find her at @IrishGirl.

I thought she would make a great In Conversation with David and am so happy with how it came out.

She also has a few articles on GTD Times you may find useful:
The freedom to make a big, fat mess
Hacking Mail and iCal

By the way, some of you discovered that the audio track was an odd mix of Meghan and Bill Lynch (the last IC). We've fixed that. We also fixed the podcast file where it cuts off at the end. You can listen on the site and through the Connect members-only podcast.

meghanwilker

Registered
Hello!

Wow, thanks everyone for the great feedback! I had a great time talking with David and am glad lots of you are getting value from the conversation.

If you want to follow me on Twitter, it's @irishgirl. (Just be warned that I don't always tweet about GTD, it's a wild mix of GTD, mom stuff, random observations and tech industry stuff.)

My blog is www.geekgirlsguide.com; I also have done a few articles for gtdtimes.com (thanks to Kelly for sharing those links)!

I'm happy to answer any questions if you've got 'em.

Thanks,
Meghan

Barb

Registered
Geek Girls Guide

Meghan,

Glad to see you on Connect and hope you'll stick around awhile and be active as some of us women try to TAKE OVER THE WORLD (only kidding, guys).

I spent some time last night looking at Geek Girl's Guide. What a fantastic idea! I consider myself a lot more tech savvy than some of my friends, but I must admit I often have questions that I don't ask for fear of looking stupid. Maybe some smart female CEOs could get together and sponsor you two on a road trip to deliver your message around the country. It would be a great service that's sorely needed.

I particularly found your comments about putting a stake in the ground to be sure the family things weren't overlooked insightful. You mentioned that GTD-speak may seem to some women as a bit cold. I think you may have really hit on something there. In fact, Davidco, if you ever do another GTD audio program and target the general public (aren't we about 95% of the self-help market?), you may even want to consider repackaging materials and specifically targeting women. I know there are lots of women working at Davidco, obviously, but maybe working within a GTD culture may serve as a bit of a blinder to the craziness in the lives of most women out there. Oh and put Katherine's face on the cover next to David for the female credibility factor!

Anyway, Meghan, it really was terrific and I'm looking forward to hearing more from you via Twitter and your blog.

rideon

Registered
I agree - I loved it and found it the most useful conversation yet - and I always look forward to them. Got to work and immediately checked out girlsgeekguide and found some great articles that support a project I am currently working on. Thanks for the great content! Kay

ekmorris

Registered
I'm with Barb - this is a keeper

I'm only part way through the interview, but as a working mother I am delighted that David Allen did the interview with Meghan Wilker and that she gave such thoughtful and detailed responses.

As far as why more women are not involved with GTD, my guess is that most women want to *seem* like they/we have it all together, and some of us may be reluctant to raise our hands and say 'help.' I think many women's perfectionism may be another barrier - e.g., if every last action item doesn't make it into a flawless system right away, then why bother. (I am guilty of both of these, so please don't think I'm throwing stones!)

Anyway, it was great to hear someone with a life like mine doing a Connect interview - thank you!