In Conversation with Dave Logan

sarahg

Registered
Thanks for this interview, it struck a nerve for me.

I've always tried to find workplaces where people "have fun" (ie they love working together & are excited by what they do) but I've seen that as "finding a place that's not too frustrating to work".

I think Dave has touched on a much deeper level to the whole thing. It's really got me wondering if there's more I can do to maintain that initial excitement of invention as the company grows.

Needless to say I've ordered one of the books mentioned in the interview :)

Tara

Registered
Tribal Leadership with Dave Logan

Hi everyone,

What a phenomenal conversation! I've listened to the interview at least a dozen times already. Having been a member of a stage 3 culture (academia), I can attest that Dave is spot on with his description of how stage 3 folks talk to one another. Go to any academic conference and you'll hear that one-upmanship combined with snarly humor in every hallway. Within minutes of the first pass through the interview, I identified what one of my clients had been describing as happening in his own front office (stage 2). The interview has allowed me to see the cultural underpinnings of my church, the non-profit I serve, even how my husband and I interact (stage 4!).

I can already say that Tribal Leadership changed the way I view the world. I'm telling everyone I know about it and look forward to handing copies to various people in leadership positions with whom I interact. Powerful stuff!

Thanks and best wishes,
Tara

TesTeq

Registered
Free "Tribal Leadership" audio book!

Free "Tribal Leadership" audio book is available at http://www.zappos.com/tribal.zhtml. Great Zappos marketing move, isn't it?

David Allen's conversation with Dave Logan is one of the most inspiring GTD Connect conversations of all times. Thank you, David!

davelogan

Registered
Thanks for the Kind Words!

Hi everyone,

Glad you enjoyed David's and my conversation about Tribal Leadership. I've been a fan of Getting Things Done since my days as Associate Dean of Executive Education at USC, and having the opportunity to say that "on the record" was great. In writing Tribal, one of the questions was, how can a group of people all get things done in a way that goes beyond expectations. The answer seems to be cultural--groups that get incredible amounts done have working relationships that aren't like those we "normally" set up. In any case, glad you liked the conversation, and feel free to share the link for the free audio book.

Dave Logan

mondo

Registered
Great in conversation. Really got a lot out of the 5 levels. This was a terrific discussion, and I will be downloading the audio book.

kb2006

Registered
What a great topic! I just received the book and plan to read it right away. I have always managed software projects "like a tribe" regardless of the org charts and pecking order and this confirms my experience on how teams really work - regardless of their size. Thanks for allowing us to hear your perspective on the GTD Connect interview!
Cheers, Kevin Brune

Tara

Registered
Dave's new book is #1! :)

Hi everyone,

If you enjoyed Dave's book, Tribal Leadership, you might also be interested in his newest book: The Three Laws of Performance written with co-author Steve Zaffron. It has been ranked #1 on Amazon twice and currently appears as #3 On WSJ’s Business Best Sellers and #2 on USA Today’s Money Best Sellers.

Many congratulations, Dave, on your latest success! :)

Best wishes,
Tara