Incompatibility of Windows Outlook and Apple Products

jbenton

Registered
For several years I used to sync my Windows Outlook application on my Desktop with my Apple Ipad and iCloud. In order to do this I had to purchase a 3rd party application to make the link. However, from the start I realized that the synchronization process did not always function as expected - that updates were irregular, or did not occur at all. After a major data breach, I purchased a new computer and changed everything. (I am not sure to this day if the linking program was the source of my breach and I do not trust those apps.)

My conclusion is that Microsoft and Apple are incompatible operating systems and that software to link the two cannot keep up with the constant changes in both operating systems. Finally, I have abandoned the linking process. I do not recommend it, in fact.

My solution has been to use the Apple iCloud for all my GTD purposes - Reminders, Calendar and Contacts. This works well in a remote setting and allows me access through my iPhone and iPad. The synchronization process works efficiently, and I no longer have any problems accessing key information. Have other GTDers had the same experience?

RS356

Registered
For several years I used to sync my Windows Outlook application on my Desktop with my Apple Ipad and iCloud. In order to do this I had to purchase a 3rd party application to make the link. However, from the start I realized that the synchronization process did not always function as expected - that updates were irregular, or did not occur at all. After a major data breach, I purchased a new computer and changed everything. (I am not sure to this day if the linking program was the source of my breach and I do not trust those apps.)

My conclusion is that Microsoft and Apple are incompatible operating systems and that software to link the two cannot keep up with the constant changes in both operating systems. Finally, I have abandoned the linking process. I do not recommend it, in fact.

My solution has been to use the Apple iCloud for all my GTD purposes - Reminders, Calendar and Contacts. This works well in a remote setting and allows me access through my iPhone and iPad. The synchronization process works efficiently, and I no longer have any problems accessing key information. Have other GTDers had the same experience?

I was just talking with my spouse about this issue this evening. We have a wealth of pictures and documents stored in iCloud. We both use iOS and Mac at home, but are required to use PCs for work. Ideally, I'd love to be on a single platform, accessible via the cloud regardless of platform. I've never tried the 3rd party sync apps, but from what I've read, they seem to be problematic.

In any case, my reference materials are a mixed system of ICloud, Dropbox, and google calendar/contacts. It's exhausting and I'm still not at peace with the setup.

jbenton

Registered
Regarding 3rd party applications to link Microsoft and Apple, my turning point this year (after year's of frustration with the linking process) was an annual subscription fee of $49 to link the 2 operating systems. This made me finally question the entire process - not only did it not work as expected, but, what's more, it's now too expensive to be worth it. So, I gave up. Sometimes, giving up is the most intelligent choice (as difficult as that can be in a world measured by one's success or successes). I had to swallow my pride on this. Now I'm happy with my choice.

I see your predicament. In your case, you need many id's and passwords to access your information. This can make the GTD process more complex, but if it works for you stick with it until you can find something you like better. Having one location is ideal. Apple iCloud is not perfect but it is highly accessible. The commitment to one platform may seem like a risk and it's time-consuming to convert to a new system, but in the long run, I believe, it saves me time and energy.

Bauterio

Registered
Can't agree with you that Microsoft and Apple are incompatible operating systems. I am currently using Windows Outlook on my Desktop and I have iPhone 6S. There are two ways for syncing Outlook data in my situation:
-using iCloud or iTunes;
-using 3-rd party services.
I've chosen the second method, as I use Outlook account only for business data and I am a little skeptical about cloud services when it comes to really important private information. 3-rd party services offer the more protected way of syncing - through WiFi, Internet or USB.There are not so many companies, which offer such services. I use Akruto sync. This tool works quite well in comparison to other ones, which I've tried. All the data syncs properly without issues. It costs $39.95 per year BTW. If somebody wants to try - here is the link for free 7-day trial http://www.akruto.com/free-trial/

WAR

Registered
I am using Microsoft Exchange on my Surface Pro 4 for my email, calendar, and contacts. I've installed the Outlook Add-In for Todoist to create my Projects and Context lists. Todoist has an iOS app. Outlook is available as an iOS app as well.

The best part about my setup is that I can now use IFTTT to use Siri seamlessly to create tasks in my Todoist Inbox. This feature alone has improved the collection of my thoughts and ideas by at least 300%!