iOS reminders

Tombo

Registered
So far I have taken to IOS reminders it seems to work for me. While it lacks cross-platform integration Its ease of use is appealing and since I always have my phone on me it’s convient. I was wondering if anyone else use reminders and if they have any tips.

sesteph6

Registered
Hmmmm Im still looking for a Wunderlist replacement, when the sad day comes. I like simple. Favorite part of Wunderlist! Ill give it a closer look!

bdavidson

Registered
I’m trying to use Reminders for my personal life, especially @Errands since my phone is with me all the time, and after work I mostly use my iPad when contemplating personal projects.

For now, due to screwy issues with Outlook, Office 365 and corporate Policies, I’m using a paper system for work projects and actions. I also collect in the notebook and transfer Errands to the Reminders app.

Fewer features to detract from the actual doing.

TesTeq

Registered
I’m trying to use Reminders for my personal life, especially @Errands since my phone is with me all the time, and after work I mostly use my iPad when contemplating personal projects.
And you can have your @Errands list on your wrist if you're using Apple Watch.

Rose

Registered
If you run into limitations you could look at GoodTask http://goodtaskapp.com
It's built to use Reminders and simply extend it - no importing or exporting of tasks required.

If my needs were simpler I'd be tempted - as it is I use OmniFocus and love it :)

Simon Barkar

Registered
Apple’s Reminders app is one of best apps that has the potentiality in my personal opinion. While it didn’t receive much of an update with the announcements of iOS 12 and macOS Mojave, I believe that with some additional features, it could become the go-to GTD/task/productivity system for most people.

mcogilvie

Registered
Apple’s Reminders app is one of best apps that has the potentiality in my personal opinion. While it didn’t receive much of an update with the announcements of iOS 12 and macOS Mojave, I believe that with some additional features, it could become the go-to GTD/task/productivity system for most people.

The problem with the native Apple productivity apps is that they often don’t get those nice additional features that 3rd-party apps create using Apple's own technology. Share sheets, for example, provide an easy, safe mechanism to transfer information between apps. Apps that don’t provide them: Calendar, Reminders and Mail. Reminders is kind of like tonsils: nice to have for some behind-the-scenes functionality, but wouldn’t be missed too much.

Tombo

Registered
Hmmmm Im still looking for a Wunderlist replacement, when the sad day comes. I like simple. Favorite part of Wunderlist! Ill give it a closer look!
Yes I too was using Wunderlist and liked it, but since it’s going away I was testing out new apps and for some reason I took to reminders

AFG

Registered

I agree with the hope.

However, as I posted in https://forum.gettingthingsdone.com/threads/reminders-stop-synching-apple-watch-iphone.14365/, iOS 12 (and related WatchOS) actually broke Reminders Watch/iPhone synchfor me.

I also learned the hard way that depending on a tool like Reminders that has no convenient way to Export data is opening oneself up to disaster.

Now my GTD "Waiting for" list includes "Wait for Apple to fix Reminders watch/iPhone synch bug", to be checked every few weeks.

AFG

Registered

AFG

Registered
"Hey Siri, add XXXX to my Errands list" does not work. Only Groceries, Shopping, and generic "Remind me to..."

I am happy to report that, after 2 weeks, my Reminders are now synching Watch<->iPhone

and that the new-ish version of Reminders on my Watch allows me to designate most of the standard GTD lists by name:

"Hey Siri, add item to my Agendas list"
etc.

learned

Registered
If you run into limitations you could look at GoodTask http://goodtaskapp.com
It's built to use Reminders and simply extend it - no importing or exporting of tasks required.

If my needs were simpler I'd be tempted - as it is I use OmniFocus and love it :)

Interestingly enough, while my needs are anything but simple (I generally have between 100 and 200 client projects in some active state plus all the other multi-step projects, I am finding that GoodTask is proving to be more flexible than either Omnifocus or Things 3. The trick is taking the step back to not try and make it everything, but rather the GTD focus point. With subtasks, I can quickly handle small or receptive things and maintain the project link. For larger projects I have to spend more time on the review, but again, dedicating focus to the review is not a bad thing. All of the more complex systems such as OF or T3 I tended to find myself resisting due to friction. That meant I never developed the level of trust I required. Reminders with Goodtask just really seems amazingly powerful and I have a far better view of what I'm faced with than I ever did with the larger systems. I think it's a forest/trees thing.

learned

Registered
The problem with the native Apple productivity apps is that they often don’t get those nice additional features that 3rd-party apps create using Apple's own technology. Share sheets, for example, provide an easy, safe mechanism to transfer information between apps. Apps that don’t provide them: Calendar, Reminders and Mail. Reminders is kind of like tonsils: nice to have for some behind-the-scenes functionality, but wouldn’t be missed too much.
Look at Goodtask for share sheets and the like.

mcogilvie

Registered
Look at Goodtask for share sheets and the like.

GoodTask reminds me a little of a program called Datebk for the Palm from years ago. It used the standard Palm databases for calendar and todo list, but added functionality by putting metadata in the notes field. It was clever, but it was a kluge. It was the work of a single person (as I believe Goodtasks is), and it showed in the design.