iPad as a gtd tool

Oogiem

Registered
rdgeorge;93427 said:
I would be wary on those with a strong opinion that had not really used both programs at length.

I tend to agree, esp with respect to DT. I used Evernote for about a year, it worked well enough but not great. The cloud sync and poor support for encryption bugged me so I never used it for more than the minimum required stuff.

Moved to DT after DTTG came out. It was buggy as all get out trying to get sync to even run but once they got major upgrades done and I learned more it's been working just fine ever since. I've been on DT now for about a year and I'm just now starting to see how powerful it really is.

They really are in separate classes, sort of like MacPaint vs PhotoShop.

mmurray

Registered
Jamie Elis;93227 said:
Last I checked, there was no usb port or way to hook up to an external hard drive. I recall there was talk about a cloud back upbut not sure where that went or if people would be comfortable from a privacy viewpoint. Second only to laptops, thieves love ipads and then there is the issue of inevitable electronic or mechanical malfunctions. Can you print something from a iPad if you need a hard list? Mac store people do not know the answers to these questions and take over six weeks to repair a laptop. so while I am sure I could find a great GTD ap for iPad, just not sure it is great idea. Please tell me I am just plain misinformed!

My wife has an iPad that I am tech support for. With iOS 5 it does back up to iCloud but that seems to only mean doing a complete restore. You can't go looking on iCloud for a specific app and associated files. Or at least not as far as I could tell the other day when I tried to do this after system upgrade seemed to nuke a couple of apps and their files.

So I imagine the best thing is to do as Oogiem suggests and backup to the mac via iTunes.

I haven't investigated security carefully but if it is like the iPhone it is pretty good. You can track it and erase it remotely if it is stolen and you can set password security so that after a certain number of failed attempts it erases everything.

Beware that it isn't quite a laptop in that it doesn't have normal pc file system. Apps keep track of their own files and while a certain amount of passing of information and files between apps occurs it isn't quite the way a pc would do it. There is no centralised file browser.

Michael

SteelcaseGTDr

Bob Hendriksen
Yes Wunderlist is awesome.

I just checked and have 1656 items in Wunderlst, and am not worried about ANY of it. Brilliantly simple i say.

nextbaron;93198 said:
I use Wunderlist for GTD b/c it is simple and easy to use.

OmniFocus is good too but expensive and without freemium model.