iPhone/Mac software most true to GTD?

Nathan

Registered
I've read GTD and love the ideas in it, but I don't have the willpower to maintain the system AND manipulate a cumbersome app to fit the GTD methodology. So I've dabbled around with Wunderlist, Notes, OmniWhatever etc but none of them are quite true to GTD's methodology.

So, does anybody know of an application that is 100% GTD? IE the app follows every step in the book and sets up every interface to be true to what the author says you should be doing?

Oogiem

Registered
So I've dabbled around with Wunderlist, Notes, OmniWhatever etc but none of them are quite true to GTD's methodology.

So, does anybody know of an application that is 100% GTD? IE the app follows every step in the book and sets up every interface to be true to what the author says you should be doing?
The problem is that no one agrees on what the one true GTD methodology is. Not even David Allen. Things and the interpretation of them change.

I believe that Omnifocus follows GTD the best but that is based on how I interpret GTD. What specific issues did you have with each of the apps you mention?

sesteph6

Registered
Wunderlist is as close to making lists on paper as I have seen, you can certainly make lists on there, which is all GTD really is. The rest, and most critical part of GTD, is not about the tools, its more about creating the core habits.

mcogilvie

Registered
I've read GTD and love the ideas in it, but I don't have the willpower to maintain the system AND manipulate a cumbersome app to fit the GTD methodology. So I've dabbled around with Wunderlist, Notes, OmniWhatever etc but none of them are quite true to GTD's methodology.

Wunderlist, if set up as recommended in the Davidco set-up guide, is just about as by-the-book as it gets. If you tell us what the issue with Wunderlist is, we can probably be more helpful.

Gardener

Registered

As far as I know, OmniFocus intends to be true to it--to the extent of refusing to allow multiple contexts for an action, for example. Can you clarify where it seems to fall down? (Maybe in failing to include the higher levels? It does focus primarily on the lower levels.)

MrVojta

Registered
Wunderlist, if set up as recommended in the Davidco set-up guide, is just about as by-the-book as it gets. If you tell us what the issue with Wunderlist is, we can probably be more helpful.
In my eyes wunderlist is perfect for GTD. I can add my ideas and thoughts quick. Later I can move them into folders easily. This is exactly what I need. (reminders are also a big plus).
However I would need an app that allows to add photos or drawings too (I am a designer).
Notes directly from Apple is perfect for that. Major disadvantage is you can't sort notes like in wunderlist into folders.
Do you suggest some app? Or I can use 2 apps at once?

mcogilvie

Registered
In my eyes wunderlist is perfect for GTD. I can add my ideas and thoughts quick. Later I can move them into folders easily. This is exactly what I need. (reminders are also a big plus).
However I would need an app that allows to add photos or drawings too (I am a designer).
Notes directly from Apple is perfect for that. Major disadvantage is you can't sort notes like in wunderlist into folders.
Do you suggest some app? Or I can use 2 apps at once?

Wunderlist can have files attached to entries, so you could have some appropriate app that would be able to share back and forth with it. Or you could use Notes for what Davis Allen calls project support. The big problem with Wunderlist is that it's a dead end, with future work going into Microsoft Todo. However, it's fairly easy to make apps like OmniFocus and Things behave like Wunderlist too.

Mark Jantzen

Registered
Such a simple question but it IS a complex answer. The key parts of my GTD system are defining outcomes and actions as well as a regular review. That's why I find OmniFocus my most useful tool. To link actions to a project are helpful. I also "pivot" back and forth between the action and project perspectives when I'm going work. Both macOS and iOS are important to me. So OmniFocus might not be the best tool but it's the best tool in my system!