Is this Anti-GTD?

A

Anonymous

I have decided to pull my active project folders out of the general reference filing and keep them on my desk in a slotted organizer. One of my coworkers, who has also attended the GTD seminar, thought this might be anti-GTD. The logic goes that this is really just a visual "nag" and I should be working my lists and pulling out the files only as needed. I think it does serve as a visual reminder of my commitments and certainly eases access to my most frequented folders. Thoughts?

Bryan

Registered
Re: Is this Anti-GTD?

Anonymous said:
I have decided to pull my active project folders out of the general reference filing and keep them on my desk in a slotted organizer. One of my coworkers, who has also attended the GTD seminar, thought this might be anti-GTD. The logic goes that this is really just a visual "nag" and I should be working my lists and pulling out the files only as needed. I think it does serve as a visual reminder of my commitments and certainly eases access to my most frequented folders. Thoughts?

My 2-cents: If you're in and out of the folders fairly frequently, I think you're fine. Although my project support does happen to be in my two desk file drawers, I see nothing wrong with you're approach. And, although I can't quote directly from the "official guide" (don't have it handy) I think my position is "according to hoyle". :)

Go for it!

A

Anonymous

Yes, and No.

I think it is very clear that "project support materials/folders" are distinct from "general reference filing". Therefore, there is nothing wrong, indeed it is preferable, to keep them outside your general reference filing.

Now, you state that this approach (1)"does serve as a visual reminder of my commitments" and (2)"certainly eases access to my most frequented folders."

I think (1) is a no-no. You should not be using files and piles as reminders of actions to be completed. However, assuming that you have extracted all the approriate projects and next actions, and captured them in trusted lists, then (2) is entirely appropriate. Indeed, I keep my project support files in one of my desk drawers, which is separate from the firm's general filing area.

Hope this helps.

C

Cikub

General Reference files are for things that are not actionable, but that may be needed in the future. An active project is quite actionable and belongs in your lists, tickler files, other folders, trays, etc.--just not in piles all over your desk!

Sflwrgirl

Registered
My two cents:

First of all, stop worrying about what's "anti-GTD." Give the methods a whole-hearted try; if something doesn't work for you, try something else. (Or read the book again -- you'll probably stumble across something that will make a big difference.) It sounds like you've tried one thing; if it wasn't working, it's OK to try another.

Also, check out p. 38 - 39 (hardcover edition -- or Ch. 2 under Organize --> project support material) for some thoughts (brief, but helpful) about how to deal with Project support material and Reference files. (Or, to be really brief, you're OK.)

--Sara