Just starting: help with Outlook

A

Anonymous

I am new to Outlook as in the past I've always had web based emails and no need to use Outlook's email programs. After reading GTD and many posts here, I see the value of Outlook and it's many functions. (I have the 2002 version). I also recently purchased a Palm Tungsten E. I want to use the Tasks functions within Outlook (with the ability to use subcategories, and to check them off as needed.) Right now, I'm using the Memo's area on Palm which doesn't really suit my eye.

Any ideas on how I can use Outlook in this capacity? Thx.

F

Frank Buck

KD,

I would suggest purchasing David's booklet on setting up Outlook. It's downloadable, so you be able to get right now. The $30 is pretty reasonable for showing you exactly what to do. I have been using Outlook to sync with my Palm for 2 1/2 years and love it.

Frank

A

Anonymous

This looks interesting. Can anyone else who has purchased the booklet comment on it? I'm pretty adept at Outlook already, but wouldn't mind seeing a ready-made system spelled out. Have others found it useful?

BrianK

Registered
A comment and a caution:

I bought the booklet, read it, used it, and love it. I thought I was pretty proficient with Outlook before, but this really exposed me to a lot of little tricks. It also walks you through the steps of setting up Outlook to track your lists and deal with your email.

A caution, though. Based partly on the description, I thought that what I was getting was a step-by-step for manually setting up the features of the add-in: "Ideal for those who need to manually reconfigure Outlook. For an automatic reconfiguration, please see the Outlook Add-in product above." It doesn't; they're two different products. Having said that, the Add-in has features that I don't think I would have used. The Implementing. . . handbook was perfect for me.

sholden

Registered
Re: Just starting: help with Outlook

Anonymous said:
Any ideas on how I can use Outlook in this capacity? Thx.
http://www.davidco.com/productDetail.php?id=43&IDoption=9
Hi from Jason. This is what I use to introduce and walk people through using Outlook with David Allen's methodology.

I agree with Jason ... the Outlook reference piece is very good. It helps a Outlook user without having to purchase an additional add-on software package (which can be problematic to add software on managed systems).

Steve

J

janecr

Other Programs

Just wondering if the document is sufficiently generalisable to be useful for other email and time management software (Pegasus Mail and Lotus Organizer, for example?)

A

Anonymous

Re: Other Programs

janecr said:
Just wondering if the document is sufficiently generalisable to be useful for other email and time management software (Pegasus Mail and Lotus Organizer, for example?)

I haven't used the other programs you listed. I just re-looked at the document and it is written specifically for Outlook.

There are probabaly some transferable ideas but it would depend a lot on how those other tools do Email, Tasks, Calendar, Notes, and Contacts.

Steve