Labeler question

A

ajlewis2

Re: Labeller Question

Claudia said:
I use a Brother PT-65. The manufacturer often offers $20 rebates to stimulate sales. Right now in Canada, you can buy the thing for $10 after rebate! Of course, they will get their margin back on the label tape refills. :?

Claudia

Does this produce paper labels or those plastic, colored type labels. I would think the plastic ones would tend to fall off. I'd like plain white labels.

Thanks,
Anita

S

spectecGTD

Chariot: Excellent article - thanks for posting the link.

DallasLawyer

Registered
Wow, that was a fascinating article (no broken windows). It caught my attention because my husband is a high school teacher in a middle class neighborhood (not upper-middle, not lower-middle, just middle) and his principal is very big on the Broken Window theory (I thought it was her own idea!). In other words, in her school, no broken windows, no peeling paint, no broken toilets. Among other things, it tells the kids that they and their education are important and deserve respect and good treatment. I would not have noticed the connection to GTD if somone else had not pointed it out, but now I see it. I'm a working mom, and all the time I hear/read advice to working moms along the lines of: You can't do everything, so don't worry about whether the house is clean or everyone's clothes are neatly pressed; just focus on the important things. Of course it's true that no one can do everything, but the incredible, counter-intuitive, but life-changing lesson of GTD (and now I see, of the Broken Windows theory as well) is that those little things do matter, and you ignore them at your peril. (What I would give to have learned this a decade ago!) And I guess that's why we're all crazy over our silly little labelers -- making our files look neat and organized is like fixing the broken windows and the peeling paint.

M

MikeTozer

Casio Labeller

Following a recommendation from a fellow GTD-er at work, I recently purchased a rather unusual electronic labeller. It is a Casio labeller, that hooks up to the computer via USB, and prints directly from right-clicking the mouse. You simply highlight a word and then right click (you can set it to only operate when ALT/Control or Shift is also pressed), and there is the option to 'Print'. Then in a few seconds out comes the label!

I find this makes label printing extremely quick: I often read an email, decide that it justifies a new project, and the title of the new project is usually in the email. So, I simply highlight the word or phrase and click print and there's my new label, without any extra typing!

Of course, it only works if you always have your computer on at your desk (which I do, and I wouldn't be suprised if many of you did, too). But that's a small price to pay for such a useful tool. In fact, I'm suprised I haven't read anyone else mentioning this labeller in this thread, or elsewhere in this forum.

One final thing: If I think of a new label that I need, and I'm on the bus, in a restaurant, out shopping, etc, then I simply compose a quick email on my PDA entitled 'PRINT LABEL', and then I put the label title(s) in the body of the email and send it to myself. Then, next time I'm online with the labeller, it takes only a few seconds, easily within the 2 minute rule, to print them out.

I'd love to know if others are using this model? And if you're thinking of getting a new labeller, it comes highly recommended! [Model: KL-P1000 ]

Bellaisa

Registered
Along with "Broken Window Theory", how about "Plastic Hanger Theory".

We had plastic hangers all through the house except for my spouses part of the closet. He thought plastic hangers were a waste of money - wire hangers do the job.

For whatever reason, one day he decided he wanted plastic hangers and took off to the store to get some. He said he was amazed by how much cleaner his closet looked, how motivated he felt to keep his closet clean and how much nicer his closed seemed (which is important since we buy a lot of our clothes at the same type of place that you buy the plastic hangers). :) He kept working until all the wire hangers were out of the house and they have now been banned.

Ironically, it cost less than $10.

If things LOOK pulled together, it makes you FEEL pulled together and makes you want to keep things in good shape. We need all the tricks we can get.

I really resisted getting labeler, but now I'm totally sold on them. They make all the difference.

severance1970

Registered
Wow, what a coincidence! I just got some wood hangers from Ikea yesterday (including pants hangers that friction-clamp the legs), replacing plastic hangers, and the exact same phenomenon happened to me. I was struck by how neat the closet looked, so I continued the neatening process until the whole closet was cleaned. Unfortunately wood hangers costs three times as much, but there's no going back for me. I've banished all plastic from my closet.

Dwayne

Registered
Latest PTouch refills are easier to peel

My latest refills for my PTouch labeller have a "split back" label backing that makes it easier to peel them than they were before when the backing was one solid strip. You can kinda pinch the end and the backing pops up enough for me to grab. Label more stuff so you can get to the refill faster :D

hth

Registered
Re: Casio Labeller

MikeTozer said:
I'd love to know if others are using this model? And if you're thinking of getting a new labeller, it comes highly recommended! [Model: KL-P1000 ]

Me too.

Normally I dont like to just say: ME TOO. But you have asked for that :wink:
Just to add my 2 €-Cent: I use my KL-P1000 in the same way you do and I'm happy with it :!:

Yours
Alexander

M

Maturin

Anyone have suggestions on sources for cartridges. I use a brother p-touch that takes TZ tapes.

Thanks!