Labelers broke down! How to replace

jmcorey

Registered
Hey all,

My label makers broke down, at home and work. I have 2 brother PT-65's; one that lasted 18 months, the other about 9 months. They have the same problem: the tape doesn't come out the exit once it prints, so it wraps itself around the inside of the mechanism. The cheapest place that would fix is $25 to open up, $18 to replace the mechanism, and 5 to mail.

What should I replace it with? An inexpensive Dymo? A Dymo label printer attached to my computer? Avery labels?

Help....

Thanks,

Joe

S

student

Yes, please share your comments about labelers. I'm slowly implementing GTD after reading about it in the Atlantic. I have a medium sized pile of collected stuff to file, but first need to rethink and redo my existing files.

I'm torn on DA's labeler advice. I'm a graduate student on a budget and it seems like overkill to me.

Do you use a labeler? Why, or why not?
What kind do you use, and what do you like and dislike about it?
Price estimates are welcome too.

Thanks!

moises

Registered
I go with a battery-operated Dymo Letra Tag. I've got one at home and one at work. It's cheap and I've never had any problems.

W

way2busymom

Avery has a free label maker for Word which you can download from their website (www.avery.com) I've found the add in very easy to use and to make one or two labels at a time. This might be a good stop gap until you could purchase another hand held label maker.

C

CosmoGTD

The AVERY label maker rocks. I use it all the time, and you can print one label easily, or print 10 labels in seconds.

If you call their 1-800 number they will even send you a free sample of a bunch of labels to try!

I prefer using the Avery to a labeler.
Cheaper, and way easier, for me.

Coz

EDIT: I just checked their site, and they are offering a "free" download for a version of a label printer for Outlook. Looks like it could just print envelopes as well.

They also seem to have some free software to print from the Palm.

To get the free sampler of a bunch of labels, I remember just calling in and asking for it, or it was offered on the voice mail system, along with their product catalogue.

Elena

Registered
CosmoGTD said:
<snip>
EDIT: I just checked their site, and they are offering a "free" download for a version of a label printer for Outlook. Looks like it could just print envelopes as well.
<snip>

I went thru their demos online and this software looks great. Especially where you can select multiple templates to print for each contact. Their example, to ship something to a client, you could print the outside address label, one inside label with the sales contract on it, and one label for your files or invoicing.

I doubt I'd need anything in the "pay" version, so I may try the "free" one. - However...

While I like their labels and templates, I have never EVER gotten an Avery software product to work correctly without crashing on any machine I've ever owned. I'm sure there are people out there who have had no problems. This is just my opinion and experience, YMMV. ( Your Mileage May Vary )

I hope others who try this program will step up and review it or share their experiences.

Elena

C

CosmoGTD

Elena said:
I have never EVER gotten an Avery software product to work correctly without crashing on any machine I've ever owned. Elena

I use the Avery Wizard for MS Word.
I have never had any problems with it. Its a pretty simple little App, not much can go wrong....

(famous last words...)

Coz

S

student

I've decided the labeler issue is a red herring for me right now. I just need to get those files organized--I can always put labels over my hand-writing later.

I'm curious though: What width labels do you use with file folders?
i.e., 1/2 inch, 3/4 inch?

kglade

Registered
I went to the avery web site and could not find the software for outlook. I found only the one for word, and the design pro that looks like a stand-alone.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, please?

Ken