Learning Mind Mapping?

Oogiem

Registered
Jon Walthour;65958 said:
I'd like to take off from Barb's statements about MindManager and find out how it's possible to learn more about mind mapping. I've got the MindManager software and use it occasionally, but I just don't seem to get it.

Pulled into a separate thread.

FWIW I've tried Mind Mapping and I just flat can't wrap my brain around it. I too was trained to think very linearly and I get frustrated when trying to brainstorm or even use it at all. I may be missing the value and would love some pointers on how to see if I can make it work. So many people use and swear by it that I have this uneasy feeling I am just slow or somehow not "getting it"

toremor

Registered
Oogiem;65962 said:
Pulled into a separate thread.

FWIW I've tried Mind Mapping and I just flat can't wrap my brain around it. I too was trained to think very linearly and I get frustrated when trying to brainstorm or even use it at all. I may be missing the value and would love some pointers on how to see if I can make it work. So many people use and swear by it that I have this uneasy feeling I am just slow or somehow not "getting it"

I use mind mapping for two things. I use xmind.

It´s very useful when preparing for a meeting. I add every point in the agenda to the mind map. Under each I write down everything I can think of that relates to the point in the days/weeks before the meeting. I might discuss something that´s related with colleagues, and add that too. Before the meeting I write out a outline of the mind map. Very useful notes to bring.

When working on a project I very often make i mind map too. I simply use it as a checklist, and marks every item off while I work on them.

Don´t know if this is of any help, but I think a mind map gives a better visual view than a outline in an other document.

Oogiem

Registered
toremor;65966 said:
It´s very useful when preparing for a meeting.
When working on a project I very often make i mind map too.

I very rarely have any meetings to attend.

I tend to use outlines for projects, most of mine are so linear in how they can be done the free form nature of a mind map seems to hinder rather than help.

Perhaps my brain is just wired differently...

I'll try it again on something RSN and see if I can make it work.