Live webinar on Time, with David Allen and friends

Discussion in 'ALL: What's New in Connect' started by John Forrister, Apr 18, 2018.

1. John Forrister

John Forrister Moderator

Utility player at David Allen Company
    The webinar is called, "It's About Time." Join David Allen, Frank Sopper, Meg Edwards, and Julie Ireland for a discussion of how we process information, and our perception of time. Our brains have separate systems for processing information sequentially or associatively. Most of us have a preference for using one system or the other. Sequential and associative processors also relate to the passage of time in different ways. With examples from many years of working with people, David and friends will discuss how this applies to your GTD practice and focus. Includes time for Q&A.

May 31, 2018 7:00AM–8:15 PDT

The registration link is in the webinars panel on the right side of most GTD Connect pages.

Here is some additional information from Frank about Associative and Sequential information processing:
    We have separate reflexive responses for the two dominant processes we use to think about things—our Associative and Sequential
    processes.

Our Associative system allows us to instantaneously and simultaneously handle a barrage of information. This system activates for our context—all the things that are competing for our attention in the present moment and activates for our experience—everything we’ve learned and remembered, the patterns we recognize, and the analogies we can bring forward to help us understand and sort through everything has has our attention.

Our Sequential system allows us to catch a piece of information out of the information barrage. Once we’ve captured the information, the sequential processor allows us to slow and concentrate our attention of so we can explore how we know something, and how can we get something done.

JodieFrancis, AndrewJMason and Lecter like this.
  2. AndrewJMason

AndrewJMason Registered

Can't say how excited I am for this.

As an equal-parts associative / sequential spectrum thinker (And someone who freezes when it's decision-time at the drink isle of convenience stores), I'm unsure whether I should plan on attending or dream about what it would be like if I did. ;)

Either way? I'm in!

sholden and John Forrister like this.
  3. JodieFrancis

JodieFrancis GTD Novice

Interesting, I'll have to look up my preference and see if my suspicions are accurate. I've found the sequential nature of speech is often frustrating as my associative brain struggles to communicate multiple connected pieces of information -- simultaneously. ;)

sholden likes this.
  4. John Forrister

John Forrister Moderator

Utility player at David Allen Company
    TesTeq likes this.
  5. TesTeq

TesTeq Registered