Lonely

Suelin23

Registered
Thanks, that's all really good advice. I'm finding that GTD and this forum is improving so many aspects of my life that I never thought possible. I started out focussing on work, but on the way have also got advice on emotional issues, housework, families, and social situations. Not only is this system for stress free productivity, I think it's bringing me happiness, satisfaction and enjoyment of life. Now I'm looking forward to Sunday and all the other opportunities life will bring :D

Barb

Registered
Found this article today and thought of you

Suelin23;95916 said:
Thanks, that's all really good advice. I'm finding that GTD and this forum is improving so many aspects of my life that I never thought possible. I started out focussing on work, but on the way have also got advice on emotional issues, housework, families, and social situations. Not only is this system for stress free productivity, I think it's bringing me happiness, satisfaction and enjoyment of life. Now I'm looking forward to Sunday and all the other opportunities life will bring :D

Good article!
http://www.forbes.com/sites/dailymuse/2012/02/15/5-ways-to-survive-attending-a-conference-alone/

Suelin23

Registered
Thanks, that's a really good article. Luckily two people I knew also turned up to the Waterwatch event, and when they were busy talking to others I approached a woman standing by herself, and she was really glad to have someone to talk to and sat next to me at lunch!
All in all I left the event feeling really proud of myself.
Thanks to all of you for your support, it really does help inspire me to push past the comfort barrier and try new things :)

Barb

Registered
And you..

Suelin23;96111 said:
Thanks, that's a really good article. Luckily two people I knew also turned up to the Waterwatch event, and when they were busy talking to others I approached a woman standing by herself, and she was really glad to have someone to talk to and sat next to me at lunch!
Thanks to all of you for your support, it really does help inspire me to push past the comfort barrier and try new things :)

Just inspired all of us, Suelin! Congratulations on that very big step! And might I add how much courage I think you have just for putting it out here and asking for ideas. Yeah, we're all a bit anonymous here, but it still took courage and I applaud you for that!

DenaDahilig

Registered
who are you, and what have you done with Suelin23?!?

suelin23;96111 said:
all in all i left the event feeling really proud of myself.

Yay!!!!! This is GREAT! SO proud of you! And what a terrific gift you gave to the other woman as well!

High-fives all around!

Dena

TesTeq

Registered
Now look for the opportunity to repeat it!

Suelin23;96111 said:
...I approached a woman standing by herself, and she was really glad to have someone to talk to and sat next to me at lunch!

Great! Now look for the opportunity to repeat it (with another stranger)!

Solyanov2011

Registered
I think everyone feels worry when approaching a person. That disappears as the conversation starts. Find a person (or a group) you'd like to join or talk, come closer. Start with a question (questions) or a story, keep talking. If they don't want to talk to you they will kick you :confused: :lol: Let other person(s) talk to you back too :)

Mtk8

Registered
Yay, Suelin! I'm glad the event went well. One suggestion -- while you've got the good feeling/confidence going from your weekend experience, why not find another situation where you can do it again? Two benefits: repeated practice solidifies new skills (like approaching, starting conversation); repeated exposure to situations that cause us anxiety reduces the anxiety (because we start to learn that things don't turn out as badly as we fear). Regardless, congratulations on the successful weekend event!

--Marc

Dee

Registered
Good for You!

Suelin,
I'm not on these boards much but I've noticed you and your responses to people's questions and confusion. Your comments are always right on. And considerate. I was a bit surprised to find you lonely. A book's just come out that I find very helpful (I'm shy too). It's Quiet: The Power of Introverts: by Susan Cain.
So glad to hear your luncheon went well for you.
Dee

Suelin23

Registered
Thanks Dee, that book looks really good, I'll buy that and have a read. Looks quite inspirational, and I love books like that.
I think being shy and nice I tend to attract 'needy' friends that are selfish and all about themselves. I decided to take a break from that and let those friendships drift apart, and wait until I could make new, healthier friendships.
I think being an introvert too, I don't feel comfortable reaching out to friends unless we're really close, and in reality there probably are a few friends I could reach out to - like in my plant society group, if I really wanted to. But I'm too shy.

Barb

Registered
Amazon

Dee;96327 said:
Suelin,
I'm not on these boards much but I've noticed you and your responses to people's questions and confusion. Your comments are always right on. And considerate. I was a bit surprised to find you lonely. A book's just come out that I find very helpful (I'm shy too). It's Quiet: The Power of Introverts: by Susan Cain.
So glad to hear your luncheon went well for you.
Dee

Interesting. I just saw that this is Amazon's most wished for book!

TesTeq

Registered
Determine the color of the eyes of a stranger

Suelin23;96330 said:
But I'm too shy.

Really? Do not challenge the authority of the TesTeq's Anti Shyness Comitee (TASC). I would like to remind you that:

TesTeq;95547 said:
Today - on February 1st, 2012 - TesTeq's Anti Shyness Comitee (TASC) decided that Suelin23 is no longer a shy person. Despite the fact that it can be difficult for her she will talk to people in group situations.

Long time ago TesTeq's Anti Shyness Comitee (TASC) decided that Testeq was no longer a shy person. And it worked - even in foreign languages despite the fact that someone may laugh at the correctness of his utterance.

And seriously - I strongly believe in the power of words and mantras. It's unproductive to constantly repeat "I'm too shy." Please do not do it.

I have an excercise for you. At least once per day try to determine the color of the eyes of a stranger. Nothing more - just look to see the color.

TesTeq

Registered
Confidence vs Shyness

Suelin23;95887 said:
shy
1. Easily startled; timid.
a. Drawing back from contact or familiarity with others; retiring or reserved.
b. Marked by reserve or diffidence: a shy glance.
(..)
Any tips/advice?

I found something for you - something that resonates with "The Power of Habit" book discussed currently in our book club:

I have come to believe that shyness is more a habit than a hard-wired personal quality. Similarly, confidence has always seemed like one of those ambiguous traits, like willpower or intuition, that can be practiced, exercised and strengthened, like a muscle. But just like any physical exercise, it's always hard and takes constant work. And, more importantly, constant awareness.

Read the whole article Op-Ed: Confidence vs Shyness.

DenaDahilig

Registered
TesTeq;99101 said:
I found something for you - something that resonates with "The Power of Habit" book discussed currently in our book club:

That's so cool, Tes! I thought of her, too, when I read that! I'm so glad you posted it!

Dena

Suelin23

Registered
Good article TesTeq, and it also rings true. There's a lot of excuses I make up to avoid interacting with others, like I'm not sure if they really like me, I wouldn't have anything to say, I've forgotten so much about them it would be embarrassing to call an old friend. But at the end of the day it just takes willpower to overcome those urges, a project plan and next action to get moving on something I'm procrastinating on.
I think it would be good to compile reference info on my friends or people, so I can review details like their partner's names, what they do for a job etc so I don't embarrass myself by forgetting stuff about them. That would give me more confidence.

billjw

Registered
crucial conversations

Hi Suelin23

As you are in Melbourne I thought it might be worthwhile to bring up the course Crucial Conversations.
I know the facilitator who is associated with the company I work for but is also an independent contractor.
It might be worth investigating this as it helps with tough conversations and might assist in the shyness dept (which you are no longer associated with. ;) )

Anyway, not trying to sell it to you, just letting you know it might help. All our managers are doing it to assist in their leadership skills etc. People always come away getting benefit from it.

Cheers

Bill

CJSullivan

Registered
TesTeq;96340 said:
I have an excercise for you. At least once per day try to determine the color of the eyes of a stranger. Nothing more - just look to see the color.

I REALLY like this. For the obvious reason that it forces one to make eye contact with someone else, thereby bringing one out of one's interior focus. I also like it because when I think about it, I so very rarely remember the colour of someone's eyes (for instance, people I work with but don't know that well - and even people I know well). Don't know what that says about my interior focus or lack of observation skills, but it's a great little trick that I shall start practicing right away (even though I'm not particularly shy...anymore).

It's also pretty non-threatening. "Noticing" is something that's pretty safe and easy to commit to, and can no doubt become a "keystone habit" (ref. "The Power of Habit") that leads to more and more connection with others!

Suelin23

Registered
billjw;99117 said:
I thought it might be worthwhile to bring up the course Crucial Conversations.

Thanks! looks like a great course, and the agenda of the training course seems to cover everything I need to know. This will really help things go better at work, which I have been struggling a lot with

billjw

Registered
Second this ...

CJSullivan;99134 said:
I REALLY like this. For the obvious reason that it forces one to make eye contact with someone else, thereby bringing one out of one's interior focus. I also like it because when I think about it, I so very rarely remember the colour of someone's eyes (for instance, people I work with but don't know that well - and even people I know well). Don't know what that says about my interior focus or lack of observation skills, but it's a great little trick that I shall start practicing right away (even though I'm not particularly shy...anymore).

It's also pretty non-threatening. "Noticing" is something that's pretty safe and easy to commit to, and can no doubt become a "keystone habit" (ref. "The Power of Habit") that leads to more and more connection with others!

A small but significant step to being more engaged. And you can have some fun with it too. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best. It's like climbing a mountain. The higher you get the better the view and the view will always change.

PeterW

Registered
TesTeq;96340 said:

CJSullivan;99134 said:
I REALLY like this. For the obvious reason that it forces one to make eye contact with someone else, thereby bringing one out of one's interior focus.
Me too! I am going to start doing this today at the office, not with strangers but people I work with. :D