Looking at leaving Palm for iPaq

D

dnnichols3

I have been a loyal Palm user since 1999 and now have an i705.

However, I have recently started in an office where we are in a "lock down" environment and I can't add any downloads to my individual pc. This is an issue because they do not have the latest Chapura and we use Outlook. As a result I am limited in mapping email to my PDA.

I have a boss who strongly recommends leaving PALM and going to the dark side (Pocket PC). He is suggesting I look into the iPaq line. I have just started looking but am interested if there are any GTD users who also work with Outlook and iPaq. At this point I haven't decided on the power level I need.

Please let me know your experiences good or bad.
Thanks for the feedback.

A

Anonymous

Re: Looking at leaving Palm for iPaq

I was in similar situation and am in the process of returning my IPAQ 2215 and going back to my Sony TG50

Here are the drawbacks as I see it - mind you, some are subjective:

a) Slower; Operations seem much slower on the IPAQ than the Palm

b) Inconsistent interface; The basic user interface should be consistent as you move between applications but buttons, input locations, etc. seem to "jump" as you move between the apps

c) Alarms don't work; Set one the other day and it failed to trigger - it is a known problem on PPC 2003 and IPAQ (?)

d) Feels cheap; Form factor is very good but it also feels like a cheap piece of plastic.

e) Screen; It is good but does not have a "wow" feel to it and I was also disappointed to find dead pixels on it. Before others chime in to say that x dead pixels are okay, I don't subscribe to that especially if these ones are dead centre in the top half where most of the info is displayed.

f) Battery life

The good thing about the unit and Pocket PC is that it sync's with Outlook without requiring any additional software, form factor, expandabilty, the weight considering it can do CF and SDIO, replaceable battery, cradle can charge a spare batter and the main unit at the same time.

In short, the unit may be an excellent upgrade path to those who are seeking to move from an older Pocket PC unit but I find it hard to move away from the Sony unit to the IPAQ. It offers marginal benefits to those who are already familiar with Palm.

dnnichols3 said:
I have been a loyal Palm user since 1999 and now have an i705.

However, I have recently started in an office where we are in a "lock down" environment and I can't add any downloads to my individual pc. This is an issue because they do not have the latest Chapura and we use Outlook. As a result I am limited in mapping email to my PDA.

I have a boss who strongly recommends leaving PALM and going to the dark side (Pocket PC). He is suggesting I look into the iPaq line. I have just started looking but am interested if there are any GTD users who also work with Outlook and iPaq. At this point I haven't decided on the power level I need.

Please let me know your experiences good or bad.
Thanks for the feedback.

mondo

Registered
Well, I have been a Palm user for about 8 years now, since the early Palm 1000 days.

For employment related reasons, I have recently begun to use a Pocket PC, although I am using an Acer n11, not an iPaq.

Anyway, the other poster shows clearly some of the negatives, and Palm is just now coming into its own as having the same power of the PPC, but with extra simplicity.

Palm is probably a more "natural" fit to GTD, but it can certainly be achieved with PPC.

2 3rd party programs I have come to rely on in my GTD implementation with PPC are
- Fusion Agenda - a datebook/todo replacement that integrates well with desktop Outlook, but gives more integration on the PPC - you can easily manage context lists and hard landscapes, even having NA's show up on the hard landscape on the day they will otherwise "die" if not done.
- ListPro - a great list management tool for Projects, Someday/Maybes and other checklists. A good list manager tool, with a full desktop, and even a Palm version, so you can map between several devices.

It can be done, and the jump is easy. I still have my trusty Tungsten T in the background, and often use that on weekends - now I have 2 devices syncing seemlessly to my Outlook desktop.

HTH, Des

A

Anonymous

Why not just dish out a few bucks for PocketMirror Pro, its a lot cheaper than a new PDA!

Gordon

D

dnnichols3

Upgrading to Pocket Mirror Pro

Gordon,

I would love to "dish out the extra money" for this version.

However, the issue is at work I am in a "locked down environment". Which means I can not install any software unless it is installed on the server. Since the company would prefer Blackberrys that is slim to none.
It took 1.5 months just to configure my machine for what I have now... Which does allow me to synch to Outlook. I'm just limited in some of the enhancements i.e. email ease, without the Mirror upgrade.

Elaine

Registered
To switch or not to switch?

My ipaq is on it's last legs and have been wondering whether to continue with it or go to Palm. I've had a sense that Palm works better with GTD.

Please, keep up with your opinions!

Elaine

A

Anonymous

If your primary input method is going to be pc rather than the handheld itself, then ppc works fine for GTD -- but I'd suggest Pocket Informant rather than Agenda Fusion -- to each his own.

Palm is simpler but PPC isn't really complex by any means.

Keep in mind that GTD is all about list management and there's plenty of good apps for PPC to do it with.

C

Cikub

Re: Upgrading to Pocket Mirror Pro

dnnichols3 said:
Gordon,

I would love to "dish out the extra money" for this version.

However, the issue is at work I am in a "locked down environment". Which means I can not install any software unless it is installed on the server. Since the company would prefer Blackberrys that is slim to none.
It took 1.5 months just to configure my machine for what I have now... Which does allow me to synch to Outlook. I'm just limited in some of the enhancements i.e. email ease, without the Mirror upgrade.

I would not give up on your IT department. Make a formal request to use the better version of Pocket Mirror ("It's just an upgraded version of our company standard."). Most IT organizations would not balk at granting such a request.

And even if they don't, moving to a PPC is not going to--by itself--solve the problem that you say is forcing you to consider a move (more flexible email syncing). I've used PPCs two or three times, but I don't recall ActiveSync providing any email capabilities over Palm's.

CB

pstmstr

Registered
Palm to PPC

Our company also thinks the Blackberry is the way to go and has locked out the install of any Palm software although Microsoft Active Sync is allowed. I use a Blackberry and a PPC, kind of a pain but both work OK together. Agenda Fusion is a pretty good program to use GTD with.