Looking at purchaseing a New PDA

A

Anonymous

Im looking at implementing the GTD process and purchasing a PDA. I am a technical Program manager and I work with several teams of engineers and scientist. I am responsible for project tracking, schedules, Travel, budget etc.... I looking to be as efficient as possible and maintain only one data collection device other than my Desk PC (laptop with docking station). I travel quite often and when I do I sometimes bring a laptop and sometimes I dont.

I am looking for recommendations from others that have similar responsibilities (management positions) on how they use the GTD system and I am also looking at recommendations on Palm PDAs. (Pocket PC owners chime in if you wish)

Some specifics are:
1. Do you use voice memos? How, how often, When and why
2. Thumb Keyboards v Graffiti
3. Any one familiar with the Tungsten T, and C
4. Do you use your palm for data collection or just storage

Im sure I have a lot more questions but this is a good starting point

GregH

A

Anonymous

TUngsten C

I have a Tungsten C. I like it a lot, but if you have no use for wireless networking (WiFi, 802.11b), then it might seem pricey. Keyboard is fine, perhaps a bit faster for me than Graffiti (I, the original). I haven't used Graffiti 2 on the C, but it is there. I mostly enter info on the palm rather than the desktop right now, but that changes as what I have to do changes. Voice memo on my C seems lame.

A

Anonymous

TUngsten C

I have a Tungsten C. I like it a lot, but if you have no use for wireless networking (WiFi, 802.11b), then it might seem pricey. Keyboard is fine, perhaps a bit faster for me than Graffiti (I, the original). I haven't used Graffiti 2 on the C, but it is there. I mostly enter info on the palm rather than the desktop right now, but that changes as what I have to do changes. Voice memo on my C seems lame.

A

Anonymous

MCOGILVIE
Thanks for the reply. For a while there I thought no one was out there. I went to office Depot and looked at the T/C and liked it alot. Price is not an issue However I do not have a need for WiFi. I do like the thumb keyboard and the form factor. I may just get it and hope for future Bluetooth support.

Greg

H

hnortonil

I have a sony PEG-TG50, and I just LOVE it. It's much thinner than the T, and the keyboard isn't bad, and the Sony screen blows the T's out of the water.

I also really like the jog dial and the ability to have an mp3 player handy. Plus, I use the voice recording quite often.

A

Anonymous

I just got a Tungsten T

I've had my new Tungsten T for about a month now, and I'm really enjoying it. I had a friend's old M505 for a little while that I used as a "tester" to see if I would be able to give up my paper planner, and obviously, the answer was "yes". I've ditched my backpack and only carry a small bag between work and home.

The graffiti on the T is excellent. I'm even able to use it fairly effectively on bumpy bus rides into work. I think it helps that my handwriting is fairly neat to begin with, though. I did purchase the small keyboard for it, and it works very well also.

The voice memo is handy when you are running between meetings and think of something that you've just got to do later in the day.

I'm not running any special planning software on it - just using the basic Palm desktop, and it's fine for me. I've been working on implementing GTD for about 6 months, and this ties in easily with my new system.

I've set up the MP3 player too - very cool!

My 2 cents, anyway...