Looking for GTP app that can be viewed on Iphone and web browser

gabe29

Registered
Hi,

I am looking for the following features in a GTD app

1)There to be iphone app component, as well as an online web browser based component. I.e. I can look at my tasks on my iphone AND on the web through a browser
2) The ability for sub projects. Often I will have a project within a project. I need the application to be able to handle that. I considered using RTM for 1) but it doesn't have capability for sub projects.

At the moment I use Omnifocus on my iphone and its great! But, I can't use it on my work's windows desktop. At the moment I have two systems running. Omnifocus on my iphone and Vitalist at work (through the web browser).

I much prefer the capabilities of Omnifocus, but I am using Vitalist at work because I need something that I can view through a web browser.

Any ideas? I am finding it very frustrating to run these two systems simultaneously. I am using my iphone for personal projects and vitalist for work projects. But I would be much more efficient if I could have both of them in front of me at all all times (work and personal projects).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

TesTeq

Registered
There is no such thing as subproject in GTD.

gabe29;77099 said:
2) The ability for sub projects. Often I will have a project within a project. I need the application to be able to handle that. I considered using RTM for 1) but it doesn't have capability for sub projects.

bhaveman

Registered
Toodledo

Sound like you are lokking for Toodledo. www.toodledo.com. It can do anything you prefer.

and btw: if you want to use subprojects, if that is what you need to get things of your mind, please do!

Bernard

Oogiem

Registered
TesTeq;77100 said:

Sure there are.

You have a major thing planned and you discover along the way that what you thought was a next action is actually a whole new project. It's often very convenient and time saving to keep the various pieces related to the original project in one location, hence the sub-projects view. If I couldn't use sub-projects I'd be totally lost.

Plus if you have dependent projects you need a way to track those so that once all the ones that have to be done first are done you can easily move on to the main project.

Example:

My Project is Restock the Wool Shop with Yarn - The desired outcome is that I have Black Welsh, Grey Blended and pure White yarns in 3 weights skeined and marked for sale before Memorial Day opening of the wineries and our big tourist season. I have some of the weights now but not all
SubProjects are
Test new Wool mill in Palisade - This is in process and had a bunch of sub projects including finding suitable sample fleeces, getting the sample yarn spun by hand to take to the mill, taking the fleeces to the mill and where I am now, waiting for the fleeces to be finished into yarn. I'll evaluate the resulting yarn and then we decide whether to schedule a 2 day trip to the other wool mill if the new one can't do the job for us. Or if the yarns are fine I get to schedule the trip to the new mill which is a one day trip so easier to do.

Meanwhile there are other sub-projects that I can move forward on:
Black Welsh Lace
Sub project for that is Locate fleeces suitable for spinning to fine lace weight yarn
with a next action of Pull Gwenhwyvar, Bron, Cerridwen, Clare and Arddun fleeces from Stash to take to wool mill​
White Lace - Actions include decision on how much wool to make into this weight yarn etc
Black Welsh Bulky
White Bulky
Blended Bulky
Black Welsh Sportweight

and so on. I can move a lot of the subprojects forward even though I don't yet know which wool mill we will use because a lot of it is finding the appropriate fleeces for the particular yarns I need and deciding on how much yarn I need of any particular weight. The entire thing is all related to the project of restocking the shop but there are a bunch of both dependent and independent projects along the way. It only makes sense to keep them all together.

All the projects are under the area of focus of Wool work

TesTeq

Registered
David Allen on subprojects.

David Allen in GTD book said:
If you're not sure, I'd vote for putting your Big Projects on the "Projects" list and holding the subpieces in your project support material, making sure to include them in your Weekly Review. If that arrangement doesn't feel quite right, try including the active and independent subprojects as separate entries on your master list.

hikerpa

Registered
There is a web based GTD program called Nirvana. It's still in beta and you have to request a invite from them. It may be what you're looking for. They have an Iphone app also in beta.

The other web based GTD program you could check out is Nozbe. You can access your GTD on the iphone using Inozbe.com.

Hope that helps.
www.nirvanhq.com
www.nozbe.com

I have used both of them but using Nozbe more at this time.

Ellen

hikerpa

Registered
Since I have no idea what Things is, I guess it could be. The crew at Nirvana seem to be working really hard to get their product up and running. It's really great looking and they seem to be adding to it every day.

Ellen

gabe29

Registered
TesTeq;77100 said:

If you have a project, and one of those action steps for the project requires multiple sub-action steps, then how do you deal with that?

For example:

A project I have is to "get everything ready for me to move into my new house"
One of the action steps is to "buy any additional furniture required".
But, to buy all the additional furniture, I need to
- Determine what furniture, if any I require
- Get the measurements of my room
- Go to Ikea
- Go to the local furniture store etc
Etc etc

This is what I mean by a sub project. An action step, that to be achieved required many other action steps. Sure, I could create a new separate project, but it makes sense to me to keep them together. Because, after all, getting additional furniture is a required step in achieving the greater project of moving into my new house.

I really like this way of doing things. Unfortunately, a lot of GTD clients don't allow me to structure my tasks like this.

If anyone can suggest a more efficient way of getting things done then I'm all ears.

Oogiem

Registered
TesTeq;77110 said:

That's my point, they are on my separate list and also linked or tied into my larger project. It's a lot easier to see the connections and links at weekly review time that way. Also a lot easier to see if I've missed one somewhere.

Why waste time trying to keep track of that stuff in your brain, the whole point is to save time thinking so the more I can do to make it easy for me to do the better off I am. Subprojects are a critical part of that IMO.

NewbGTD

Registered
Julian;77116 said:
Things - stand-alone client
Nirvana - web-based

Apart from that obvious difference, it still looks as though Nirvana have taken everything they have seen in Things (functions, layout etc) and copied it. Even they're future releases will further copy what Things already has. Just saying.

If anyone is looking for a web-based version of Things then Nirvana would be the place to go.

austinmitchell

Registered
TesTeq;77100 said:

I'm constantly amazed at the 'adherence to the rules' that is advocated in this forum! This type of answer is really of no help to anyone. Surely it's better to find something that works for YOU...

Personally, I'm using a 'GTD' like system implemented with TaskPaper on the iPhone (and simpletext.ws on the web) and I have sub-projects. If anyone is interested, I can explain how I've found a setup that works for ME.

humblepie

Registered
there are tons on the iphone for this. i am using APPIGO TODO with ToodleDo on the web

Review Here>>

then you can also try Action Lists with ToodleDo

or Toodledo's app on iphone with ToodleDo

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Subprojects are just fine with GTD

Subprojects are just fine with GTD, if they have their own clearly defined outcome and deliverable.

Getting married might be an example. You wouldn't likely put "Get Married" as the project name. You'd list all of the "sub" projects individually:

Find spouse
Put on Ceremony
Put on reception
Take honeymoon

Etc.

There are less rules to GTD than people think. At least in my experience with this. More best practices than rules.

TesTeq

Registered
I respect your opinion.

austinmitchell;77134 said:
This type of answer is really of no help to anyone.

I respect your opinion and I think that your answer can help many readers of this forum.

As far as I understand David Allen is not the hierarchical project structures fan. He prefers simple flat lists.

So do I.

rdgeorge

Registered
I have heard nothing but great things about OmniFocus, which can be installed on your iPhone (or iTouch) and on a Mac. The mere fact that it can view NA's either by context or by project is huge, to my mind. I am still on Outlook for 2007 and a Blackberry, but I am seriously considing running OmniFocus in parallel for a few weeks, for comparison.

rdgeorge

Oogiem

Registered
rdgeorge;77150 said:
I am seriously considing running OmniFocus in parallel for a few weeks, for comparison.

If you do give yourself about 2 months to test it. Omnifocus is very complex and it can take a while to get comfortable using it and adapt it to your own implementation of GTD. I love it but it did take a bit to change and for about a month I was at odds because I had stuff in 2 places and wasn't sure where to go to update things. It made weekly reviews a real PITA.

If I had it to do over again I'd test it by picking a single area of focus and moving only those projects related to that area of focus over for testing. That way you have a clear edge, if it's in these AOFs it's in your old system but if it;'s in this once AOF it's in the new system. If you decide to switch I also think that moving groups of projects by AOF works best.