Maintenance of Medical Licensing and other Professional Certifications

JillFunk

Registered
I am not new to GTD but am trying to fine tune my system. I am a physician and struggle with how to successfully manage all of the certifications, exams, license, hospital privileges, etc. They are perpetual projects with hard due dates but require work throughout the year/s in order to fulfill the requirements. I currently enter the due dates on my calendar and have them in my project list (I use evernote). I struggle with how to remind myself to work on the requirements (CME, study courses, fee payments). I seem to become numb to them as perpetual items on my next action lists. I have also tried scheduling time to work on them but when something comes up, they slip to a lower priority because of the protracted deadline and I forget about them until the next reminder. I think I am fundamentally frustrated that they are never really completed, once I do- it just starts all over again for the next licensing cycle. Any fellow physician GTDers or other professionals who have good ideas for how to manage the these many perpetual projects related to maintaining a medical degree?

gtdstudente

Registered
With all due respect, it sounds brutal to keep clear . . . meaning quite the challenge . . . have you tried/any success using a spreadsheet? Tickler File might be an option, thinking . . . only if you would be OK without having the big/strategic picture readily available?

Last edited:

samuel.d.kang

Registered
Hey Jillfunk,

It sounds like you have your horizontal control well oiled (calendar, projects list, and even time blocking).

Perhaps the solution is within reflecting on your vertical perspective (Weekly review, 3 Fold Natures of Work, and Horizons of Focus). It sounds like you either have more agreements than you can handle with your given resources (time and focus) or your resources are being utilized by others or latest and loudest, perhaps both. Regular reflection on your Areas of Responsibilities/Focus and 3 Fold Nature of Work may help you to say no to new commitments and renegotiate current commitments to others and yourself to better align with your Higher Horizons.

The only other area I can think of is back to the horizontal control workflow. It sounds like you’ve defined your outcome (Projects) very clearly with even hard deadlines. Perhaps you’re procrastinating or becoming numb because the true next actions aren’t as defined or granular enough?

Hope this helps.

Best,
Sam

samuel.d.kang

Registered
PS - Delegating can also free up your resources if you have the luxury to do so. Are you really the best person for this task? Etc...

JillFunk

Registered
Thank you for the suggestions. I do have an Excel spread sheet but probably don't review it often enough, or in enough detail. That may help to feel more in control and knowing what to do next. I am going to try to better define the next action, maybe even divide these projects into steps. Samuel.D.Kang, I think you are on to something. I tend to procrastinate when my next actions are not clearly defined.

GTDengineer

Registered
Your next actions lists should be handled ASAP. A fundamental value to help stay on track is that you cannot “become numb” to the lists without serious negative consequences in your life. You might have to shift something else off of your lists to open the space to take care of your priorities.

Your spreadsheet only needs a once a week review, where you will transfer the urgent items to your next actions lists to do them within the upcoming week.

I’m thinking that a consistent time block could be useful in your calendar, like study time 8-9pm each day.