• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Managing Projects and Tasks

I was helping a client recently who was struggling with making decisions on what project and 'next action' to tackle next. That reminded me of a conversation I had with David Allen, who said better project definitions will help. Here's what he had to say.

https://youtu.be/yVyfcu_Eif4
@Dave Edwards

Thank you very much for your post

On this end end . . . for whatever it might be GTD worth GTD has currently come down to two life-overarching verb Focuses


Always Be . . D E C R E A S I N G

Always Be . . I N C R E A S I N G



Optional Objective Subordinate Area-of-Focus Reality-Realms:
E X T E R N A L L Y
E X T R I N S I C A L L Y
I N T R I N S I C A L L Y


Meanwhile, some Next Actions are 'never' completed simply because some Projects are 'never' completed ?

As such, if some Next Actions and Projects are 'never' completed, then why bother to GTD list them ?

On this end, the following are subjective GTD reasons in doing so

Decreases:
Anxiety, aka, 'Undefined Fearing'
Concern
Deliberation
Defects
Difficulty
Excesses
Mistakes
'Numbness'
Overwhelm
Procrastination
*Remembering
Waste
Wondering
etc.

Increases:
Accuracy
Appropriateness
Attentiveness
Awareness
Calm
Commitment
Compassion
Confidence
Conscience
Consciousness
Control
Courage
Detachment
Ease
Focus
Gratitude
Humility
Improvement
Objectivity
Performance
*Remembering
Worthiness
etc.

As the good David Allen might say: "You get the point"

As Heraclitus taught and likewise John 3:30-35
'EVERYTHING' is INFLUX; either Decreasing or Increasing
Therefore 'EVERYTHING' requires either Decreasing or Decreasing
Which leaves only one Question;
What in One's Control, Responsibility, ect. to be either Decreasing or Increasing ?


Thank you very much

As you see GTD fit. . . .

Ps. As recollected, for appropriate good conscious crediting, the "Decreasing / Increasing" concept in the GTD context was 'timelessly' received from a GTD Coach for effective Mind-Sweeping: What does one want more of . . . What does one want less of

*Dual-Benefit . . . cha-ching ! :)
 
Last edited:
Top