Mind Map from Meg

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
If you've listened to the latest audio clip from Meg Edwards in our In The Trenches series, she talks about doing a mind map to plan summer camp with her daughter. Here is a copy of that mind map:

Attached files

Barb

Registered
Annie

After listening to the audio that goes with the map, I've decided Annie is one heck of a lucky kid (you can show her this, Meg).

I don't know where I'd be without MindManager. I literally plan every project using the software.

We don't have any kids--and I don't want to sound too needy--but are there any tips or tricks for doing things like cleaning, meal planning, and other household stuff? I had a cleaning person for a while (several, in fact), but they ended up being more trouble than help. The whole "house thing" is one area I could really use some help.

Anyone else have these problems? Or am I just that lazy??

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Podcast

Hi Jon,

Sorry about that. Meg's audio should now show up in the iTunes podcast.

For those of you who are new to the podcast feature of Connect, you have two choices for listening to all of the Connect media: on the Connect web site, or through iTunes/iPod device. Nearly all of the Connect Media is setup to be downloaded to iTunes. You will be asked for your Connect password when it tries to download any member-content.

Here's what you need to do to set that up:
https://secure.davidco.com/connect/podcast-howto.php

If you have any problems or questions, please don't hesitate to write to us at connect@davidco.com.

Oogiem

Registered
Barb;65949 said:
Anyone else have these problems? Or am I just that lazy??

I have the same problem, I'll muck a barn before I'll sweep a floor. Flylady is somewhat helpful but I can never get my routines in place to really stick. The times I can do housework changes too often. The only thing right now that is working well for me is meal planning. All other regular house maint. is in the pits.

Jon Walthour

Registered
I'm with Barb and Oogie on the chores. But I don't blame GTD. I chalk it up to sheer laziness. Now, when my wife asks me about whether or not I did something, she's inclined to ask if I have it on my lists and just chose not to do it. That's usually the case.

On an off-topic point, I'd like to take off from Barb's statements about MindManager and find out how it's possible to learn more about mind mapping. I've got the MindManager software and use it occasionally, but I just don't seem to get it. I'm a computer professional and tend to think so linearly (do this then this then this then this) that mind maps look amorphous and lacking in definition to me when it comes to using it as a planning tool. I can see the value when it comes to laying out a "big picture" of a static (or relatively so) thing (a la David's "DA World" mind map), but what's the value in looking at a linear project plan in an associative way?

If this is too far off topic, I can post this elsewhere if that would be better.

j

Barb

Registered
Depends

I think whether or not you enjoy using MindManager for project planning probably depends on how you think. I tend to think of many different things at once...and that makes me think of something else entirely. When I've tried just straight linear project planning, I've found myself getting disengaged with it pretty quickly.

So, if you think in a more linear way, it may not suit you. Since I'm "all over the place", it helps me organize my mind in a way that virtually nothing else can.

As for learning more about MindMapping, I learned it first from a book by Jamie Nast called Idea Mapping. I started drawing maps by hand at first, but bought MindManager literally within days. In fact, I first heard of MindManager in Jamie's book.

You might also want to check out posts by Michael Deustch...he's MindJet's Chief Evangalist and a regular contributor to this forum.

I'll be interested in more posts along these lines.
Jon Walthour;65958 said:
I'm with Barb and Oogie on the chores. But I don't blame GTD. I chalk it up to sheer laziness. Now, when my wife asks me about whether or not I did something, she's inclined to ask if I have it on my lists and just chose not to do it. That's usually the case.
On an off-topic point, I'd like to take off from Barb's statements about MindManager and find out how it's possible to learn more about mind mapping. I've got the MindManager software and use it occasionally, but I just don't seem to get it. I'm a computer professional and tend to think so linearly (do this then this then this then this) that mind maps look amorphous and lacking in definition to me when it comes to using it as a planning tool. I can see the value when it comes to laying out a "big picture" of a static (or relatively so) thing (a la David's "DA World" mind map), but what's the value in looking at a linear project plan in an associative way?

If this is too far off topic, I can post this elsewhere if that would be better.

j