• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Mind Maps + Generic Post-Its = Synergy

I've been using mindmaps for a couple of years. I like them.

Years before that I took a course from a company called Decker Communications, Inc. on public speaking. They recommended putting key words on post-its. They didn't talk about mindmaps explicitly but that is what they were doing.

I just prepared a little talk I am giving tomorrow. The prior talk I did with a mind map. This time I used 2"x1.5" generic post-its. They are great! You can shuffle them around and recluster with ease.

Try it. You'll be glad you did.
 
An excellent and thorough treatment of distributed cognition with stickies is Rapid Problem Solving with Post-It Notes by David Straker. Post-Its have the advantage of being quickly repositioned on the board, so its easier to perform operations that require lists, hierarchies and networks to be reorganized over multiple iterations. I don't use Post-Its anymore, but I use Straker's operations with business card-sized index cards on a table (larger index card gobble up too much real estate).
 
I found the open source program Freemind to be a really helpful tool for personal and group brainstorming sessions. Best of all, its free.
 
Top