Mindmap Software Suggestions

ivanjay205

Registered
Hi everyone,

I recently was turned on to mindmapping by someone in one of other forums to help me solve a challenge I was having. I am now in love lol.

However, I am trying to figure out some software to latch onto. I LOVE doing it on the whiteboard. But that doesnt go everywhere with me and there is not infinite space which quickly became a challenge. I am also far from an artist so the idea of cool pictures, colors, etc. sounds fun in a program.

My primary work computer is a mac, and I have an iphone and a ipad so I am heavily vested in the apple ecosystem. HOWEVER, when I work from home I do have a big 32" all in one desktop computer I love to use so having something I can use on that is not essential but would be really a big advantage. Taking advantage of that screen real estate could be cool for mind mapping vs opening my 14" macbook pro.

I am currently looking at (but not limited to feel to suggest others):
  • mindnode
  • xmind
  • simplemind
  • mindmeister
  • coggle
  • ayoa
I dont mind paying for good software. I currently have a subscription to lucidchart and will replace this with that as I never use it. And the mindmapping in there is not good. Bonus points if any program could do flow charts as well as I do use those for work sometimes in lucidchart but again very very rare.

I dont need to collaborate with others other than a share screen in a conference room. This will really be for me for my personal and work stuff only.

Thanks in advance for feedback, things you like and dont like, recommendations, etc on this!

manynothings

Registered
I've heard of many people using Freeplane with its fast inputs and keyboard shortcuts.

I'm also curious about this. Anyone know of mind mapping software that can integrate with Office (i.e. one note? word?)

grahamen

Registered
MindManager integrates with office word etc. Well, to be exact. it can store and display office products in your mindmap

rp_w00d

Registered
Hi everyone,

I recently was turned on to mindmapping by someone in one of other forums to help me solve a challenge I was having. I am now in love lol.

However, I am trying to figure out some software to latch onto. I LOVE doing it on the whiteboard. But that doesnt go everywhere with me and there is not infinite space which quickly became a challenge. I am also far from an artist so the idea of cool pictures, colors, etc. sounds fun in a program.

My primary work computer is a mac, and I have an iphone and a ipad so I am heavily vested in the apple ecosystem. HOWEVER, when I work from home I do have a big 32" all in one desktop computer I love to use so having something I can use on that is not essential but would be really a big advantage. Taking advantage of that screen real estate could be cool for mind mapping vs opening my 14" macbook pro.

I am currently looking at (but not limited to feel to suggest others):
  • mindnode
  • xmind
  • simplemind
  • mindmeister
  • coggle
  • ayoa
I dont mind paying for good software. I currently have a subscription to lucidchart and will replace this with that as I never use it. And the mindmapping in there is not good. Bonus points if any program could do flow charts as well as I do use those for work sometimes in lucidchart but again very very rare.

I dont need to collaborate with others other than a share screen in a conference room. This will really be for me for my personal and work stuff only.

Thanks in advance for feedback, things you like and dont like, recommendations, etc on this!
I like FreePlane. The FreePlane team is currently working on a major update to the user documentation. https://docs.freeplane.org/#/

Jeremy Jones

Registered
I am by no means a veteran of using mind maps, but I am working it into my system. I'm using coggle, which is a good solution. With the free version you can only create 3 maps, so if you're doing a lot of them, you can create the map, screenshot it, paste and save as an image.

benedikt

Registered
Using XMind on macOS and iOS for years now. They managed to evolve from a legacy app to a modern cloud integrated app.

PiotrS

Registered
https://concepts.app/ with iPad and Apple Pencil, this app is fantastic, it feels almost like drawing on paper, but with all the benefits that comes with digital experience. Or you can buy drawing tablet (wacom/huion), plug it to desktop and use this big screen, there is for example https://miro.com/ that will give you access to your data everywhere (Concepts is not yet available for Macs, they're working on it). There is also excalidraw.com

I use MindNode on Apple Mac, iPad and iOS. I like it because it's easy to use, flexible, looks good, syncs across devices, is reasonably true to the original Tony Buzan mind mapping concepts and you can copy link maps to other apps. I used iMindMap until it was "absorbed" into Ayoa. iMindMap was the only app I found which could emulate the "organic" look and feel of the Tony Buzan mind maps and for that I miss it very much. Ayoa offer a very similar mind mapping tool but (when I used it) it was not quite so capable as iMindMap and I am not into the web-based and subscription model that Ayoa offers.

enyonam

Registered
I'm still on Mindjet's MindManager. I've tried several of these including XMind, MindNode, MindMeister and Coggle. None of them lured me away from MindManager for long though. The ability to have an expansive vision board (over 700 nodes) that easy to navigate - both as a mindmap and as a list, the ability to link to other tools in my GTD system where those nodes then live, the ability to use icons to toggle nodes "on" and "off", rate them and track progress .... yeah.... I haven't found a substitute.

strannik

Registered
Mindomo - it works on all computers (including Linux) and tablets, and you can turn a mindmap into a Gantt chart in seconds. There is a cloud to keep all of your maps in sync, and you can invite guests to view or edit maps. A close second is iThoughts in the Apple space. I am now experimenting with using org-mode on emacs instead of mind mapping for a lot of planning.

dtj

Registered
Mindmap to Gantt chart seems intriguing! I do a lot of my organization for a non-profit that I am starting, in MindNode. The mindmap is helpful at a strategic level, but causes problems at a tactical level. Basically now the actions are out at the periphery, and a whole lot less like marching orders.

Murray

Registered
I am a couple of days into a 30 day free trial of MindManager. Am having fun working through the tutorials and have already created a biggish flow chart to help me get clear on some changes I'm making to my GTD system.