• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Moving from a Heavy Palm User to More Real Time

  • Thread starter Thread starter markdfritz
  • Start date Start date
M

markdfritz

Guest
Hi Everyone,
Could use a little help on my issue or opportunity. I am a heavy user of the Palm in order to be productive anywhere. Only thing that is missing is the "Real time" email capability. I have been investigating the Treo and Blackberry devices, but really want to keep all the things I have on the Palm as well.

Here's an idea of what I currently use the palm for:
- Calendar (with all day specific actions)
- Contacts (with notes behind each)
- Tasks (organised the GTD way)
- Actioneer (to speed entry of tasks directly into the right categories)
- Memo's (reference materials and some copied reading from Websites)
- Avantgo (using for reading the news)
- Ereader (have read over 50 books in travel time in 3 years)

I'd like to keep the capabilities I have today, but move to more "real time" emal. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help. It will be really appreciated.

Mark
 
Re: Moving from a Heavy Palm User to More "Real Time&qu

markdfritz said:
I have been investigating the Treo and Blackberry devices, but really want to keep all the things I have on the Palm as well.
Why can't you keep all the Palm stuff on Treo? :o
It is Palm PDA with a cell phone.
TesTeq
 
TesTeQ,
Thanks for the posting. Treo is an option, but the older model 600 didn't have bluetooth, poor screen quality , etc. Actually not recommended by the phone store I visited. Maybe the 650 (I think it's new in the USA , but haven't seen it in the UK yet), could be better.
Mark
 
Re: Moving from a Heavy Palm User to More "Real Time&qu

markdfritz said:
Here's an idea of what I currently use the palm for:
- Calendar (with all day specific actions)
- Contacts (with notes behind each)
- Tasks (organised the GTD way)
- Actioneer (to speed entry of tasks directly into the right categories)
- Memo's (reference materials and some copied reading from Websites)
- Avantgo (using for reading the news)
- Ereader (have read over 50 books in travel time in 3 years)

As an ex-palm user I can comment on a few of these relative to the Blackberry RIM GSM devices (the 7xxx family, and be sure to upgrade to the 4.0 OS)

For Calendar, Contacts, Tasks and Memos - the blackberry's functionality is sufficient - it's a little harder to fill out some fields, but it's acceptable to me and is GTD-friendly for tasks with the 4.0 OS.

Actioneer I can't comment on, I suspect that functionality is missing.

Avantgo - blackberry is better, you can directly browse the web instead of caching it at sync-time.

I haven't found an ereader for the modern blackberries - somebody let me know if you find one :)

The most critical feature for me was a clean sync with MS Outlook, which the blackberry has at least as good as palm, possibly better.

That's my 2 cents,

- Mike (a happy RIM customer)
 
I recommend staying with Palm OS, to make the transition and learning curve smoother. Have you looked at the high-end Tungsten models?

http://www.palmone.com/us/products/tungsten/

Tungsten C has built-in Wifi. Tungsten T3 and T5 have built-in Bluetooth and optional Wifi expansion card.

I use a Tungsten E heavily, and the unit is very usable and durable. I demo'ed a T5 and it runs even smoother. Tungten E doesn't have the Wifi or Bluetooth, so I can't vouch for how well they work. But you should research these models!
 
Palm +bluetooth + phone = connected

quigleydoor has a good point. A bluetooth enabled palm should be able to talk to a bluetooth enabled phone to get a data connection and access your email and the web...

- Mike
 
Top