Moving from a Heavy Palm User to More Real Time

M

markdfritz

Hi Everyone,
Could use a little help on my issue or opportunity. I am a heavy user of the Palm in order to be productive anywhere. Only thing that is missing is the "Real time" email capability. I have been investigating the Treo and Blackberry devices, but really want to keep all the things I have on the Palm as well.

Here's an idea of what I currently use the palm for:
- Calendar (with all day specific actions)
- Contacts (with notes behind each)
- Tasks (organised the GTD way)
- Actioneer (to speed entry of tasks directly into the right categories)
- Memo's (reference materials and some copied reading from Websites)
- Avantgo (using for reading the news)
- Ereader (have read over 50 books in travel time in 3 years)

I'd like to keep the capabilities I have today, but move to more "real time" emal. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help. It will be really appreciated.

Mark

TesTeq

Registered
Re: Moving from a Heavy Palm User to More "Real Time&qu

markdfritz said:
I have been investigating the Treo and Blackberry devices, but really want to keep all the things I have on the Palm as well.
Why can't you keep all the Palm stuff on Treo? :eek:
It is Palm PDA with a cell phone.
TesTeq

M

markdfritz

TesTeQ,
Thanks for the posting. Treo is an option, but the older model 600 didn't have bluetooth, poor screen quality , etc. Actually not recommended by the phone store I visited. Maybe the 650 (I think it's new in the USA , but haven't seen it in the UK yet), could be better.
Mark

M

Mikem42

Re: Moving from a Heavy Palm User to More "Real Time&qu

markdfritz said:
Here's an idea of what I currently use the palm for:
- Calendar (with all day specific actions)
- Contacts (with notes behind each)
- Tasks (organised the GTD way)
- Actioneer (to speed entry of tasks directly into the right categories)
- Memo's (reference materials and some copied reading from Websites)
- Avantgo (using for reading the news)
- Ereader (have read over 50 books in travel time in 3 years)

As an ex-palm user I can comment on a few of these relative to the Blackberry RIM GSM devices (the 7xxx family, and be sure to upgrade to the 4.0 OS)

For Calendar, Contacts, Tasks and Memos - the blackberry's functionality is sufficient - it's a little harder to fill out some fields, but it's acceptable to me and is GTD-friendly for tasks with the 4.0 OS.

Actioneer I can't comment on, I suspect that functionality is missing.

Avantgo - blackberry is better, you can directly browse the web instead of caching it at sync-time.

I haven't found an ereader for the modern blackberries - somebody let me know if you find one :)

The most critical feature for me was a clean sync with MS Outlook, which the blackberry has at least as good as palm, possibly better.

That's my 2 cents,

- Mike (a happy RIM customer)

Q

quigleydoor

I recommend staying with Palm OS, to make the transition and learning curve smoother. Have you looked at the high-end Tungsten models?

http://www.palmone.com/us/products/tungsten/

Tungsten C has built-in Wifi. Tungsten T3 and T5 have built-in Bluetooth and optional Wifi expansion card.

I use a Tungsten E heavily, and the unit is very usable and durable. I demo'ed a T5 and it runs even smoother. Tungten E doesn't have the Wifi or Bluetooth, so I can't vouch for how well they work. But you should research these models!

M

Mikem42

Palm +bluetooth + phone = connected

quigleydoor has a good point. A bluetooth enabled palm should be able to talk to a bluetooth enabled phone to get a data connection and access your email and the web...

- Mike