• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

My car navigation uses GTD!

Recently I've discovered that my car navigation uses GTD methodology to perform its tasks!

My car navigation puts each defined trip destination on its Someday/Maybe list.

When I decide to drive to one of the defined destinations my car navigation moves it from the Someday/Maybe list to the Projects list and determines:
  • the Successful Outcome (the car reached the destination);
  • the Next Action (for example "turn left").
My car navigation uses two @contexts for its operation:
  • @standing - when the car does not move (relax);
  • @moving - when the car moves (provide driving directions).
It is important - my car navigation focuses on one Next Action at a time - on providing just the very next hint - it does not try to tell me the whole travel plan.

When I do not follow the directions my car navigation does not complain - it just creates a new plan to reach the destination as efficiently as possible and returns to the Next Action processing loop.
 
Where Possible, Make a Legal U-Turn...!

And it's OK if you go the wrong way - you just "make a legal U-turn" and head back in the direction of your dreams! There are no mistakes, just course correction!
 
I love this! It's such a good example to explain the very essence of GTD - concentrate on one thing at a time and store everything else to be used when required. I'll be adding this to my informal workshop information to use when I next talk to colleagues about GTD! :D
 
A simplified GTD model.

S-Tolland;99909 said:
I love this! It's such a good example to explain the very essence of GTD - concentrate on one thing at a time and store everything else to be used when required. I'll be adding this to my informal workshop information to use when I next talk to colleagues about GTD! :D

Thank you. It's a simplified GTD model but I think it really explains the essence of David Allen's methodology.
 
Programming sat nav

I took my existing GTD system and programmed it into my sat nav.
Now I just drive round in circles.
 
Top