My implementation of GTD

A

Anonymous

Hi folks-

I wanted to get your take on what I've started doing with my GTD system.

When I first started using GTD, I was just trying to juggle too many balls at once. I had so many projects and actions in my lists that I had a very hard time deciding what to do next or what to focus on.

So, this is what I've done. I've imposed a limit on my projects and actions list. I won't allow myself to have more than 20 open projects going at once. This way I can stay focused on this small group of projects and see them through to the end (as opposed to bouncing back and forth between 100+ different projects, making some headway on all of them but never finishing things!).

I also have a list of "Emergency" projects and actions, where I will allow myself to write down new things that come up that absolutely cannot wait.

I have to say, that the results thus far have been *much* better for me. In the past I've just tried to do too much at once and haven't accomplished anything! Now I am getting things done and not stressing myself out with too much on my table.

Adapting the normal GTD system to force me do this more has helped a lot.

But, does anyone have feedback on doing things this way? Good idea, bad idea? Or any insights on the issue of trying to juggle too many things at once?

take care,
Matt

K

Kudzu2u

Under the "Coaches Corner" you might want to take a look at Meg Gott's recent article on using your Someday/Maybe list. I think it is along the lines of what you are looking for.

:lol: -in Canada

C

CosmoGTD

Re: My implementation of GTD

Hi!
I am not the Supreme Zen Master of GTD yet, but i THINK some points are in order.
David seems to have made it very clear that GTD is customizable. Here is a quote of his,

"Pure GTD" is just to do whatever you need to do to feel good about what you're doing and what you're not doing, at any time, all the time.

On the other hand, he is also very clear that the goal is to get EVERYTHING out of your head and into an airtight system that you trust. How can we predetermine the number of actions and projects? We can't, we have to elicit them.
Also, the main goal of GTD is a "Mind like H20", i am not sure how "emergency" fits into that!

On the other hand, you say you are getting better results, with less stress, which is the goal!
Maybe there is a time at the beginning when we have 19 things that are behind, and its hard to feel good, until we "catch up" a bit?

I agree with the other post. Maybe use Someday/Maybe, but as far as the Projects go, i THINK it is very important to get them all out?

comments?

A

Anonymous

RE:

Hi guys-

Thanks for the tips and feedback.

Cosmo, you're right on about getting it all out of your head. I've still been doing that...I've just been getting pretty rigid about not putting something into the "immediate working area" unless it's an emergency or something I've made the commitment to focusing on at the present time.

Of course, the weekly review is helping me to identify when things can move from one stage to the other.

I'm glad to know I'm within GTD guidelines here; and I have been getting more done with less stress. Don't have that mind like water yet, but I don't have a mind like ice or air either ;)

take care,
Matt

kkirksey

Registered

Or any insights on the issue of trying to juggle too many things at once?
I went through something similar, and my solution was similar, though I didn't set a hard limit on number of project. I just established a hard and fast rule for myself that if I was going to add something to my projects list, it had to be something that I was willing to put a next action down for, and that I would be able to do that next action some time in the next week. If I didn't have the time, resources, or whatever to do a next action on that "project", it got put on the Someday list instead of the projects list. That's worked pretty well for me so far.

Ken

J

Jason Womack

kkirksey said:
Or any insights on the issue of trying to juggle too many things at once?
...if I was going to add something to my projects list, it had to be something that I was willing to put a next action down for...
Ken

For any of you who have been through the Leveraging Focus and Vision seminar, one of my "scenario scripts" is dedicated to capturing and processing actions as they appear on my radar.

I found that this alleviated a lot of the pressure of thoughts being "re-" thought. I realized that I wasn't bombarded by a LOT of thoughts, just the same ones kept the revolving door going all day long! (You know, one in, one out, one back in, another one out...)