• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

My implementation of Onenote for GTD

  • Thread starter Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date Start date
A

Anonymous

Guest
I thought the Microsoft article [http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011436401033.aspx] was not very good at illustrating the power of Onenote for GTD. For me, Onenote serves as a great archive of papers, images, and text, as well as a powerfull Next Action capturer.

I've divided my Onenote notebook into several sections: Projects (College applications, Research paper...), Classes, Personal (books, movies, shopping, photography) and ACTIONS (@Calls, @Home, @Computer_Email, @Computer_Reading, @School...)

Also, I've set up the 'customizable note flags' available with SP1 to fit my needs. I have note flags for 'simple to-do (being a student, this is where i put homework, which is always well-defined),' "Question," "time sensitive," "important," "not urgent," "event," "call," "remember," "waiting on" and "research." There's lots of overlap but onenote allows multiple note flags, so something can be a "not urgent call" or whatever.

Because i don't think it makes sense to move a next action from, say, a project folder ("call library to get hours for research") to the 'calls' list, I DON'T, and simply label the to-do with my telephone note flag. A call that's not related to any thing else--- for example, "call dentist"-- just goes in the regular @CALLS list with a telephone note flag. The subdivisions of ACTIONS are helpful, but not necessary.

Any actions that I can 'predict' for the future are entered, but don't get a corresponding Note Flag.

Every morning (or whenever), I press the fantastic "note flags summary" button and every single note flagged action-- from all of my notebook-- goes into an elegant sidebar. That way, I don't need to be too concerned with organization-- since it'll go on the day's summary regardless of where the next action is. From there, I can create a temporary notebook page and print out the day's to-do's, separated by category (question, important, etc).

I also hear that onenote has great ties with outlook-- you can create new tasks and whatnot directly-- but i don't have outlook 2003 so that will have to wait.[/url]
 
Top