• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

My mid-tech personal organizer solution! (seeking sliding 5.5 by 8 tabs though?)

I love my mid-tech personal organizer.

It consists of an inexpensive 5.5" by 8" binder, with paper of the same dimensions. I have little tabs for each of my to-do buckets like "at computer" and "at electronics store", etc. and tabs for each month, and an insert for "today", and finally tabs for letters of the alphabet, where I keep phone numbers, addresses and contact info.

I'm even learning Gregg shorthand to be able to write in it super fast, as per David Allen's suggestion to learn typing. (I already type super fast, but it made me realize that my handwriting speed is insanely slow compared to my Dvorak typing speed at the computer.)

What I'm still looking for:

-A good quality and affordable 3-hole punch for 5.5" by 8" paper
-Durable (plastic?) holed 5.5" by 8" divider sheets that have slidable tabs. Like some sort of mechanism where you can click something then slide the tab sticking out up or down. So if I add a new "bucket" for "at library" between two others, I can quickly add a tab for there and then move the others down so they stagger and cascade perfectly and alphabetically.

I guess the closest thing I can think of is to use A to Z tabs, and then within them have some sort of sub-tabbing system that is easier to remake from scratch if I need to move categories or add some.

Sonja
 
Sonja Elen Kisa;59007 said:
-A good quality and affordable 3-hole punch for 5.5" by 8" paper

I looked everywhere for one of those too. A friend then just took an adjustable 3-hole punch I had and adjusted it perfectly for 5.5 by 8 paper. I can now punch many pages easily. Pretty much any office supply store has them. Here is an inexpensive one at Staples that is decently priced - this is not the one I use though. My "customized" version is much less cumbersome to use than any of the "organizer" brand 3-hole punchers I tried.
 
Top