Need a Simple Palm ToDo App!

M

msmopar

I am a "newbee" to the GTD program and I am trying to integrate it into my Palm Pilot (Sony Clie T615 color).
I really need a simple ToDo list application that allows for sub-ToDos (parent/child funtioning), and repeatable ToDos. I have some projects that I perform regularly, and I have to reenter each step of the project as a separate ToDo - over and over and over... :(
I am so suprised that Palm has not included this functionality in their OS already! I can't be the only one out there with this need.
I have tried many trial applications, such as Bonsai, Shadow, etc, but every one of them does not fit my needs. They don't work in unison with the "vanilla" apps already on the OS, they don't offer both of the functions I am looking for, or they are entirely to complicated and cumbersome.
I would appreciate any suggestions you may have. I would also consider any tips you may have for using the vanilla ToDo program to make it easier for me. Thank you very much for your help!

A

Anonymous

LifeBalance from Llamagraphics permits parent/child nesting of tasks. It can get extraordinarily complex to set up and run, but you can run a "plain vanilla" version of it. I tried it awhile back, before there was a desktop version, and didn't care for it at that time. You might give it a look. Although understand that you'd be paying for a porsche to drive to the corner grocery store.

K

Kudzu2u

There is a simple app called ReDo which you can get from PalmGear. All it does is add repeating ToDo's of various types to your Palm. Another alternative would be Agendus or DateBk, which are larger programs but also add repeating and re-doing of ToDo's.

HTH,
...in Canada

A

andmor

Standard Projects

If you are only using Palm native apps, your ToDo db is a separate app. from your Calendar. Why not use Bonsai as a complete ToDo replacement? The "Cut/Paste Branch" feature would seem to be ideal and the Desktop version is a real application.

Andrew

A

Anonymous

Try thought manager at http://handshigh.com/html/thoughtmanager.html

Its simple and allows for outline "templates" which can be used over and over. Also has a nice desktop, I some ways even better than Bonsai. Can export and import to MS Word.

Another simple yet free solution is to use "Handyshopper."
While designed for shopping lists it can be used for projects that are used over and over again. All the download sites have it.

A

andmor

Projects 1.8.2

Great concept, very pomising, but no Desktop component AND I emailed the author some time ago about the development and did not receive any reply - maybe not so promising, which is a great shame.

Andrew

A

Anonymous

The author is actually a university student studying computer programming, I believe. He gets extremely busy in bursts. He got back to me, I'm sure it will just take a bit of time.

Gordon

S

Sophie

ToDo Plus

Hi, I'm working with ToDo plus from Handshigh Software (www.handshigh.com): it's very simple and fast and uses the to do-application that comes with a Palm (don't know how that works with Sony Clie). It supports recurring tasks as well. It's also cheap.
I can also recommend other software from them; I bought it as a "Productivity Bundle" (along with ThoughtManager and MemoPlus) (the German Version, though).

Best,

Sophie

D

Digitalmba

Need a Simple Palm ToDo App!

I use a program called Arranger which I found at the PalmGear web site for managing ToDo type items.

With this program I continue to use the built in Palm apps such as the Memo, ToDo list, Addressbook, Datebook and Expense. Arranger acts like a categorizer and outliner on top of these apps. The beautiful feature of Arranger is that anything that is already within one of the Palm built in apps can be linked to and become an item in a hierarchical Arranger outline. This is great for tracking project work.

When you first open Arranger you should create categories for the type of projects that dominate your life. Under each category you then create headings which serve as project names. Then, under a particular project name you create items which are major steps and substeps in achieving your project as well as handy informational support items.

For example, my Arranger categories include things like Project-Work, Project-Home and Project-Someday. Under Project-Home I have a project entitled "Fix old computer" and I can tell that there is a whole outline of items subbed underneath it because there is a "+" sign in front of that item. When I click on the plus sign it expands the outline into the first tier level of outlined items which are major phases in the project, for example, "Decide on purpose/programs for old PC" and "Research compatibility and install advice" and "Look for best prices." Then if you expand something like the "Research" item you will see that I've got links to ToDo items where I delegated myself the task of "Find info on XX app requirements" and also some Memos that are snippets of hints and ideas from various web sites that I found. It is also possible to create new items on the fly, e.g. from within Arranger you can create an item that is not already in existence in one of the built in apps. This on-the-fly item can either be housed in the Arranger program only, or be created so that it is an actual item housed in one of the built in apps, e.g. you create a ToDo and it will be visible in the ToDo list of the Palm.

Essentially, I can bundle together any items from the built in apps and keep them under one project and even hierarchically outline them into different phases of the project with deeper levels of subtasks. You can tick off the ToDos as they are completed to track progress.

The Arranger program is easy to operate, which is the reason why I chose it over things like Shadow, etc. Hope this is of help.

DigitalMBA

M

Maurits

Re: Need a Simple Palm ToDo App!

msmopar said:
I really need a simple ToDo list application that allows for sub-ToDos (parent/child funtioning), and repeatable ToDos. I have some projects that I perform regularly, and I have to reenter each step of the project as a separate ToDo - over and over and over... :(
I would appreciate any suggestions you may have. I would also consider any tips you may have for using the vanilla ToDo program to make it easier for me. Thank you very much for your help!

With the standard to-do program you could try the following. Make a Parent to-do. Attach a note to it. Put all the child to-dos in that note. You can delete any finished child processes or just move them to the bottom of the note for keeping, preferrably visibly divided from the yet to-do actions with say a line. Of course this only gives you one level of sub to-dos, no grandchildren so to speak.
If you need one extra level, you could make the parent to-do a Category, put the children in it as to-dos and attach a note with grandchildren to each child.
As for the repeating part: when you are done with the parent, put it in a Category named "Repeat" or something. You could set the due date to the date that you expect the done parent to become a to-do again. On that date you transport it back to the right category again. Or you could give it a different Priority number.

I do something similar with my groceries list. I keep a to-do called "Supermarket" in my "@City" category. A have a note attached to it with all the items I need to get when I am at the supermarket. When in the shop I look at the list and delete any items that I already have in my basket. The Supermarket to-do never leaves the @City category in my case.

Hope that helps,

A

Anonymous

Anonymous said:
Arranger is a great program but there's no desktop app.

There is a desktop app to Arranger. Maybe for not long, but I remember trying the beta version few months ago.