Need a suggestion....

Kaine Peterson

Registered
I have a project to start this week. The project support material that I will use to initiate is a document saved to my office P.C. desktop.

On what list should I write the first action step (reading and extracting relevent points from the material)?

Does it go on @office, @computer, or read/review?

Gardener

Registered
I think it totally depends on what works for you, but I would go with read/review. You can do all sorts of things in the office or on the computer, but read/review requires resources, like uninterrupted time and a clear mind, that many of those things don't.

GTDengineer

Registered
But read/review is not a traditional context. At least I don’t use it.

I take my computer home, and work from home most days. So reading material on my laptop is in @computer

GTDengineer

Registered
Sure, but when you have a list of contexts which are nouns, and one context which is a verb, it seems like it doesn’t fit. The strategy is inconsistent. This could cause the indecision which the poster is experiencing.

Sarahsuccess

Registered
Does @computer refer to only the work computer? Does read/review only refer to things to read at work? If read/review and @computer only contain tasks to do while at work, then I’d agree with Gardener and put it on read/review. If the read/review context also contains things that can be read @anywhere I think it would get confusing (and “mind numbing”) to put it in read/review and I’d put it on @computer.

talundbl

Registered
I was listening to podcast with certified GTD coaches and they articulated "Read/Review" as "will the world end if i don't read it but want/should/could/might read?" - If the answer to that question is no, then put it in read/review and get it off your mind.

But if it is a next action to move a project along or otherwise a clear next action, put it in the context where you think you'll want to find it again (hint: its not a perfect science but an estimation of what your future self will want.)

That could very well be Read/Review if the reading is a sort of conditional or optional aspect of the project, but if must do, then put it in the main GTD context where you want to be doing it (i.e. where do I want to be reminded of this reading -> @office? @computer? @anywhere?)

OF user

Registered
Besides Read/Review is a traditional context in the GTD book, not so much the study guides. Regardless...everyone is correct because you use the contexts that work for you.