• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Need advice on Next Action

I have a book: "The power of full engagement". I decided to read it before going to sleep. So I put it in the bedroom close to the bed. And it looks like it serves as reminder itself. But David says that project materials (and the book is a project material) shouldn't be reminders themselves. Do you think I should put "Read "The power of full engagement" on my Next Action list @Home or not?

Please advice :)
 
Not really

Some things don't need to be on your list. I don't think even Mr. Allen has brush teeth as a NA. Sounds like you are not having a problem remebering to do the reading. So if you put it on your @Home list it is one more thing to look at. I would add it to your project list though.
 
Max, the project was always there. That's maybe another reason why I raised the question. Project is active but NA in the list is not needed in fact.
 
do whatever it takes

Hi Eugene.
Borisoff said:
So I put it in the bedroom close to the bed. ... Do you think I should put "Read 'The power of full engagement'" on my Next Action list @Home or not?
If it works for you by the bed (i.e., you're making acceptable progress) then why change anything? However, if you're not happy, you may need to consider a different kind of reminder, such as a NA like you describe. Getting back to a GTD basic, do whatever you need to get it out of your head. A vanilla NA, or maybe a nightly checklist (we all had to *learn* to brush our teeth, remember.)

Hope that helps.
 
Top