Need help related to daily todo list

gtd101ji

Registered
In the GTDConnect webinar "GTD & Things - July 2018", coach Kelly Forrister mentions that David Allen uses daily todo list and it is an advance GTD technique. Could anyone please share more resources about the same, as I couldn't find it being mentioned in the book or anywhere else?

Following is the link to the webinar that I am referring to where daily todo list is recommended, skip to 9:30 minute of the webinar video:

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Thank you for posting, and for including the link and the time stamp. You made it easy for anyone reading to have a quick listen before replying.

We generally recommend that you avoid a daily to do list unless you are quite experienced with GTD. It's too easy to move tasks from day to day and erode trust in your system and your intuitive daily choices. David only occasionally used the Today view in his previous software. And he only used it because he could empty the list with a single click. More often you'll hear him say that daily to do lists don't work any more than ABC-123 priority codes do.

In that short section of the recording, Kelly cautions several times that this is not something to use without awareness and self-discipline. (My paraphrase.)

I ask anyone who thinks they need a daily to do list, "How consistent are you with your weekly review?" I've yet to have someone reply that they're doing full reviews each week. Based on some years of experience, I think you'll get far more benefit from the higher perspective of reviewing than from time spent managing a daily list.

I'm looking forward to what others have to say.

schmeggahead

Registered
I have a context @Active that I use as a "I chose these few things to work my way through today"

This actually lets me scan my NA lists less often, helping me focus on those items especially in a highly distractive environment.
The time period for this list if usually short (a Morning or an Afternoon).

Items I put on that list are rarely not completed within 4-5 hours of putting them on it.
I let myself take items off of it, but rarely do I need to do so.

Clayton.
Two mirrors reflect each other.

RomanS

Registered
Microsoft To Do offers an excellent daily to-do list (DTDL): At the beginning of the day - knowing the expected contexts and fixed deadlines (!) - I add tasks from the relevant context lists to the DTDL. I design this shortlist in such a way that it can be safely worked off (about 50% of my freely available working time of the corresponding day). At midnight, Microsoft automatically resets this shortlist (without deleting the next actions itself). So I never have to "reschedule" anything.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

dtj

Registered
I have a weekly todo sheet, broken down by days, so not strictly a DTDL. It's analog, reflects calendar items and more of a tactical POV. My digital lists, in OmniFocus, are more strategically oriented. Strategic things roll down to tactical, but very rarely the opposite way. Creating the weekly list gives me a quick review opportunity, and previous weeks tactical items may not make the cut for this weeks sheet, but because it usually comes from my digital lists, it'll still be waiting on a list when I get back to it.