need ideas for semi-mobile road warrior

tallmarvin

Registered

Used to have a FP Monarch. Same issues with carrying around such a monstrosity plus a laptop (I work in the field as well).

Didn't want to get a PDA and learn Grafitti so I bought a Handspring Treo 90. Uses thumb-keyboard, no Grafitti necessary! Small footprint, so re-size fonts to largest setting. (IMO, the new Sony PDA w/keyboard is nicer, and has a large screen, but I was not willing to fork over the $500 at the time...you may want to consider those also)...There are a few models out now that do not require that you learn Grafitti...I haven't and don't plan to.

Also use a voice recorder for gathering thoughts, etc. in the car or elsewhere in the field.

And never underestimate the power of the legal pad for capturing information...I still use one for quick notes, etc. and toss into an inbox for processing later.

It would be quite the challenge to go totally 'paperless'. A combination of the three tools (PDA, legal pad, voice recorder) works well for me, and takes up much less travel space-very important when you consider that laptops are the equivalent of 'bricks' that are being lugged around all day.

Really, all of this comes down to managing lists, as has been said many times before here. Use the best tools for *your* needs and you can't go wrong.

HTH...M

C

CosmoGTD

Being Digital

I read the book Being Digital by Negroponte a number of years ago, and started trying to Be Digital about 3 years ago. This has been a big project, which involved scanning a lot of docs into my laptop. I am basically done this process, and i am now able to take my laptop with me wherever i go, and with it, many tens of thousands of pages of docs, as well as audiobooks, music, pics, and everything else.
I use a PDA for simple lists for when i don't have the laptop, which is rarely. I ditched all paper planning 3 years ago, although i now use some paper for brainstorming, then i INBOX it, and digitize it, then destroy it.
So for me, the solution is BEING DIGITAL, which is an asymptotic digitizization of my DATA, then using a laptop 24/7 basically.
But you have to get REAL serious about how to organize this info on the laptop, or you will die a slow/fast death.
Now, laptops will continue to get smaller, and wireless is becoming easier. So i would ditch the paper planners if i could, and use ONE system for GTD.
Remember, you can RECORD AUDIO on the laptop in an mp3 format to save space. I record meetings all the time in mp3PRO using Musicmatch, and then archive them.
Basically, it ALL goes into my Digital Inbox. I have a folder on my computer desktop called IN, and it ALL goes in their first, then i use GTD to process it.
I feel very powerful knowing i have every document, every file of every sort at my fingertips at all times.
But then I organize all the data very clearly, and BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP in several redundant ways.
My road warrior solution is Being Digital with my high-end laptop, using this as my primary tool.
Basically my hard-drvie has become my long-term memory system, so my RAM is quite free to think of more things to do! :shock:
I would appreciate others sharing what they do on the road, as i am on the road literally all the time.
Coz

F

frankjacob

need ideas for semi-mobile road warrior

I am a sales professional who spends approximately 1/2 the day in my car and with customers. Currently I used a Classic Size Franklin Covey planner for my day to day needs.

The challenge I face in using the GTD is how to carry my binder and
laptop without breaking my back and fumbling with stuff in front of a client? My GTD binder is two inches thick, my franklin binder 2 1/2 inches thick and my laptop etc I feel like I a moving an elephant every day.

If I carry my GTD binder and laptop and associated files/literature I am hauling 12 to 18 pounds of stuff around. In fact I carry a laptop case and a briefcase instead of one heavy bag to balance out the load.

When I am in front of a a client I find I need my calendar, phone list, record of events and the to do list handy. (FYI-I like to schedule my to dos for a certain day. I move stuff from my master list to the date in my weekly wrap-up) Carry a classic size binder, client file, and legal pad and balancing all on your lap is a challenge.

I tried a palm pilot for two years and found I am too visual and like to write my daily record of events and notes as I go. I never got the writing down in the Palm Pilot and found the screen area too small.

What are other on the road folks doing to implement GTD without hauling around so much stuff?

I thank you in advance for your ideas.

Frank Jacob

F

frankjacob

Thanks Tallmarvin and CosmoGTD

Thanks for your insights. You have both given me some food for thought.

Frank

J

Jason Womack

Re: need ideas for semi-mobile road warrior

frankjacob said:
The challenge I face in using the GTD is how to carry my binder and
laptop without breaking my back and fumbling with stuff in front of a client? My GTD binder is two inches thick, my franklin binder 2 1/2 inches thick and my laptop etc I feel like I a moving an elephant every day.

Frank Jacob

What's in your GTD binder? The reason I ask, is because at minimum, the GTD system is made up of 7-10 lists:

Projects
@Agenda
@Calls
@Errands
etc...

I've worked with many clients using other "planners." Here's what we did:

We got extra pieces of paper for their binder; and
Started writing the titles of the lists they were using.

Doing this, you can implement the critical "organization" methods we teach while maintaining the reference material (addresses/calendar) that you're used to carrying.

One of the things Einstein said rings true for me: "Make things as simple as possible; but no simpler!"

F

frankjacob

Jason,

In my GTD binder I havetimely memos, long range projects, bigger goal details like items for a book, college info for my son, etc.

In my classic franklincovey planner I have my calendar, my address book, all my lists, short notes, inpt work related info for field use, and other personal stuff.

I carry the franklincovey planner and laptop to every meeting. The GTD stays in the car however it travels with me everyday.

As I reflect I think the hardest part is carrying the planner and laptop everywhere. The goal is to travel lighter.

Frank

albertlewis

Registered
Looking for ideas for someone away from home/base 5days/wk

I travel mon-fri to a client location to fairly intense schedules

Would appreciate ideas on:
-how to organize for this frequent travelling
-simplest/lightest complement of tools (PDA,Software,Binder, Laptop, bags, internet) that people have had success with

I'm finding it difficult to stay organized as maintenance of info and checklists and support information between home, hotel and transport is becoming impossible.

J

Jason Womack

Re: Looking for ideas for someone away from home/base 5days/

albertlewis said:
Would appreciate ideas on:
-how to organize for this frequent travelling
-simplest/lightest complement of tools (PDA,Software,Binder, Laptop, bags, internet) that people have had success with.

Hi there,

Just last week, I worked with a client in Washington DC who has a similar travel schedule. She shared with me that the key to her "getting organized" for that amount of travel was going to come down to her using the first THREE steps of Mastering Workflow on a regular basis. That is:

Collect: pile up everything that has your attention
Process: decide what has to be done, by when, and where
Organize: put all of those decisions in a reviewable system

Doing so, she said, she'd be able to trust her "review" and "action choices" whereever she is.

The simplest system will be the one that works for you. Most people I have coached use a combination of tools to keep them "on."

As far as size is concerned, a PDA *could* be the the smallest, although I have worked with people who needed much more paper-based materials whereever they are.

One of the ways you might consider creating a "personal" system is to experience the workflow coaching process from one of our staff!
http://www.gettingthingsdone.com/workflow_coaching.php