Need Suggestions for Backup Software

A

Anonymous

Hi everyone. I need to purchase some backup software for my PC before something bad happens. I don't want a huge, complex program. Just something that will backup my key data files, and also easily backup my Outlook email and settings to CD's.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help!

P

PamG

HandyBackUp

FWIW, I've been through several. Finally settled on HandyBackup, which is super-easy to use, even when setting up automated backups. Optionally creates individual zip files as backups, which I adore, as the proprietary scheme employed by others made it waaaaay too difficult to dig in and grab a backed up file when needed. I set it up to toss backups on another letter drive-- where HB (visibly) mirrors the source directory structure during its backup process -- still another nod to user-friendliness. (All filenames remain the same, but with ".zip" tacked on at the end. It DOES have full CD-R/CD-RW support, & disk spanning.)

If you've been around PCs awhile, the developer's name will likely spark a satisfied smile of recognition: NovaSoft.

Still $30 for the app, plus another $10 or so per for individual plug-ins (registry, Outlook, ICQ). Nice surprise: when they upgraded from 2 to 3 to 4, I received email alerts with the download link-- no "upgrade fee" imposed. Ditto when I needed a new reg key for a new laptop. Don't know if that will continue, but in any event, this is one of the rare apps which has proven to me that's it worth much, much more than the actual asking price.

http://handybackup.com/

A

Anonymous

Re: HandyBackUp

Thanks Pam! I appreciate the help and this sounds exactly like what I'm looking for.

Regards,

Chip

PamG said:
FWIW, I've been through several. Finally settled on HandyBackup, which is super-easy to use, even when setting up automated backups. Optionally creates individual zip files as backups, which I adore, as the proprietary scheme employed by others made it waaaaay too difficult to dig in and grab a backed up file when needed. I set it up to toss backups on another letter drive-- where HB (visibly) mirrors the source directory structure during its backup process -- still another nod to user-friendliness. (All filenames remain the same, but with ".zip" tacked on at the end. It DOES have full CD-R/CD-RW support, & disk spanning.)

If you've been around PCs awhile, the developer's name will likely spark a satisfied smile of recognition: NovaSoft.

Still $30 for the app, plus another $10 or so per for individual plug-ins (registry, Outlook, ICQ). Nice surprise: when they upgraded from 2 to 3 to 4, I received email alerts with the download link-- no "upgrade fee" imposed. Ditto when I needed a new reg key for a new laptop. Don't know if that will continue, but in any event, this is one of the rare apps which has proven to me that's it worth much, much more than the actual asking price.

http://handybackup.com/