• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Need to clarify 'hard edges' for next actions

  • Thread starter Thread starter Treetops
  • Start date Start date
T

Treetops

Guest
Hi,

I've recently started with GTD.
I'm running it with a master excel spreadsheet with various worksheet tabs , inc. a someday/maybe , a reference reading, reference holiday ideas.

The main worksheet is marked 'all' & here I have my overview , split into sections:
A. one off tasks , sub-sectioned by context 'at desk', 'at phone', 'errands' etc

B. a waiting for section

C. (down at row 89) The projects section. Here is a list of projects (currently 14 of them). For each I have identified the desirable outcome (highlighted in green) & have written down the next action . Also in the cell next to that action have typed NA, the idea being to see the NA 'at a glance'.

Since I reorganised along the above lines , I have made good progress with
one off tasks , but less so with the projects, one important one of which hasn't move on in quite a while.

My confusion may be that for the project next actions, they are not placed in
contexts in the same way the one-off actions in section A are.
I could in section A introduce cross refs. to project tasks, but that seems to me to be complicating things / blurring the hard edges.

Or have I got it wrong , do I need 2 separate overview lists, one for projects
(but I would still have to organise projects NAs by context) ?

Any suggestions?
 
Treetops said:
My confusion may be that for the project next actions, they are not placed in
contexts in the same way the one-off actions in section A are.
I could in section A introduce cross refs. to project tasks, but that seems to me to be complicating things / blurring the hard edges.

Or have I got it wrong , do I need 2 separate overview lists, one for projects
(but I would still have to organise projects NAs by context) ?

I, personally, have always cross-referenced the project actions with the one-off actions so that I have a list of tasks which could all potentially be done at the right time and place. I find it difficult enough to go down one list without going down two. This is, of course, a matter of what works for the individual. It does complicate things because you have to add the next step to the task list once you check a project action off but it sounds like it might help you to ty it.

I don't get the reference to "hard edges". These would be items (tasks or appointments) that must be done at or by a certain time. I'm not sure how it came into play in your discussion.

Tom S.
 
Thanks Tom,

Yes I think I will introduce a cross link between the project next action & the
contexts.

> I don't get the reference to "hard edges". [snip]...how it came into play in
> your discussion.
Originally I was thinking that putting project NAs into one-off NA contexts would be 'blurring' hard edges between a projects lists & a one-off items list.
But yes - I think the thread would have been better phrased something like
'How to put project NAs into contexts'. Apologies for any confusion.

Mike.
 
Top