New Custom Project Form

Bollinger

Registered
I have just finished working on the next version of the custom project form (see thread http://www.davidco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3822 for details)

New features:

- Better performance
- More input fields and features on Project Form "main page"
- Ability to assign project to Contact
- Structure on main page changed
- 3 new tabs introduced: Appointments, Resources, Tasks
- Appointments shows all active appointments linked to the project.
- Resources shows e-mail filed to project and documents linked to project
- Tasks shows all active and completed tasks in this project
- Completing a project task shows a dialog with all defined future NA for the project to choose from (also updates history list on project).
- "History"-list on project is updated when completing NA tasks linked to project.
- New button (Add) on page "Resources" making it easier to link documents to project.
- Ability to create projects and appointments from NA list.

Because of all the new features (project macros, CDO etc) I would like to testdrive this form a bit more before I make it available.

Please feel free to submit your opinions about the new form.

Regards
Mattias Sahlin
Support this project with PayPal Donation

Attached files

A

astrea

Amazing!

Hi Matthias,

this is an amazing achievement! I was just evaluating Resultsmanager in order to judge if I could extend the reach of my GTD implementation to also cover more project management related stuff (only using the GTD plugin until now). But it looks like your new project form could be exactly what I'm looking for.

The screenshots look great. I guess more detailed feedback can be given after a short while after day-to-day us. Looking forward to test it as soon as it becomes available.

Cheers,
Thorsten

joeycan

Registered
Mattias,

This is unbelievable everything one could ask for in form to fully implement the GTD add-in. Net Centrics should be hiring you.

P. S. If you need a Beta tester let me know. johanns at gmail dot com

Cheers

jhegener

Registered
joeycan said:
Mattias,

This is unbelievable everything one could ask for in form to fully implement the GTD add-in. Net Centrics should be hiring you.

P. S. If you need a Beta tester let me know. johanns at gmail dot com

Cheers

Ditto... I will gladly beta test the form. I used the old form for a while and it was great but the performance 'hit' was too much for me and I abandoned it after a while.

It would be great to compare the new version.

I don't understand why, if a lone individual can create a near-perfect project dashboard like this, Netcentrics is not capable of providing the same functionality.

jay at ctcomp dot com

C

charles7a

Looks Great!

Excellent job! I already use your first custom project form, and this one looks even better. I can't speak for anyone other then myself, but I would be willing to make a donation towards the "custom project form" project.

dansch

Registered
Printing Capability!!!

Please!!!
The form is fantastic, but I can't stand not being able to print out a hard copy that reflects the form. All we get is the generic "memo" format with all of the extraneous fields.

jhegener

Registered
charles7a said:
I can't speak for anyone other then myself, but I would be willing to make a donation towards the "custom project form" project.

I was thinking much the same thing myself...

Bollinger, do you have a paypal account that I could donate some $$ to?

peter_g

Registered
Quick questions...

Matthias:

Wow - the new custom project form looks excellent - can't wait to try it. I use your current one, and Bill's GTD-Police macro (which this version will replace in terms of prompting for next action). I have several quick questions in this regard:

1. Compatibility with GTD-Police - will this be an issue? The custom form and GTD Police seem to co-exist peacefully already.

2. Quick outline functionality - one advantage of GTD-Police is the ability to make a quick bulleted '-' outline list in the notes area to define a quick set of sequential next actions. Will this functionality be available in this project form, or will the next actions always have to be defined in the project form?

3. Any thoughts on speed/performance - the old form can be slow.

4. Add-in v2.1 compatibility?

You do great work - many of us recognize that project definition and management and maintaining the link between projects and next actions is one of the bigger challenges when implementing the GTD methodology with the Add-In.

Regards,
Peter

S

sokrne1

I'd love to beta test, also (that is, if you need any testers). I've been using your original form and love it!! It looks like you've incorporated things I had on my "wish list" -- which I never submitted :oops:

I was never able to get the GtD-Police plug-in working. Don't know what I did wrong. Hopefully, the ability to add a next action with your form will take care of that!

P.S. I'd also be more than happy to "contribute/donate" to the development of the form.

Thanks, in advance!!!

Take care,
Kathy

Stevie_G

Registered
Bollinger said:
....Because of all the new features (project macros, CDO etc) I would like to testdrive this form a bit more before I make it available......
Regards
Mattias Sahlin
I am brand new to the GTD process and I am just about to start implementing it, this would make my transition easier. I would love to testdrive the form to offer a "newbie" perspective. From the screen shots this looks exactly what I would need to assist me in my journey. Though others may argue that "plain vanilla" is nirvana, this form for me would be the second comming.
of course IMHO.
-g-

Bollinger

Registered
Positive feedback

Thanks for the positive feedback!

I'll send all of you already interested a beta copy in the next couple of days.

Questions in previous posts:

GTD-Police compatibility:
I would not recommend running both the new custom form and GTD-Police together. This is because I've probably made a similar implementation available in the custom form and extended it with a "Choose NA" dialog listing all future tasks defined for the project.

Regarding outline functionality, if I understand it correct, this is the same feature as adding a "Future NA" in the custom form for the current project?

Speed/performance:
The new custom form uses a new algorithm for scanning the task folder and listing project, master projects etc. This should make it alot faster.

Printing: Yes, this has been forgotten. I'll dig in to this as fast as I can.
It should be nice to get the custom form to print all containing fields.

Addin v2.1 compatibility:
This should not be a problem. I've been running the new add-in with the new form since it was released and so far no problems.

Donations/PayPal:
It's always nice to get appreciated by others for the work you do. So far this has been a spare time project and I think it ill in the future, too. I have a full time job with two small kids so spare time is limited to late nights and early mornings.
I've set up a PayPal account for the support in the custom form development.
Hopefully this project will evolve into something really great with help from you all.

PayPal Donation for GTD Custom Form Project

Regards
Mattias Sahlin

M

mpearce

I would love to beta test this for you as well. And I will also donate some for your time and trouble. What you have done for my GTD has helped me greatly.

Thank you,
Michael Pearce

jvw

Registered
beta test

I would also like to help with the beta test.
thank for working on this excellent form!

peter_g

Registered
A suggestion...

To keep the thread clear of too many "me toos" with regard to the Beta test - perhaps everyone interested should send a private message to Mattias instead.

That way, we can keep the thread clear for issues that come up in the beta, etc.

Just my $0.02.

Regards,
Peter

Stevie_G

Registered
peter_g said:
To keep the thread clear of too many "me toos" with regard to the Beta test - perhaps everyone interested should send a private message to Mattias instead.

That way, we can keep the thread clear for issues that come up in the beta, etc.

Just my $0.02.

Regards,
Peter
I agree :lol :p