• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

new iOS reminders app

bridun22

Registered
Hi all,
First post here. I am 3/4 done with GTD. I have listened to the audio book before but now I am taking the time to read it and implement it.

Has anyone here checked out the new reminders app on iOS iphone and ipad? it has a lot of cool functions that it didnt previously have, or at least I never noticed it had.

I have been using workflowy but am considering switch to reminders.

Whats your opinion of the new app?
 
Hi all,
First post here. I am 3/4 done with GTD. I have listened to the audio book before but now I am taking the time to read it and implement it.

Has anyone here checked out the new reminders app on iOS iphone and ipad? it has a lot of cool functions that it didnt previously have, or at least I never noticed it had.

I have been using workflowy but am considering switch to reminders.

Whats your opinion of the new app?

VVVVV

Is anyone else super excited to see what updates are coming to Reminders in iOS13? This screenshot in particular (attached) has me anxiously waiting for the July public beta.

pasted-graphic-1-png.391


The middle mockup seems to show it reminding you of tasks associated with a person while you are messaging them. This is exciting! It seems like the app's integration into iOS might finally give us some contexts that let you know of your tasks when they're relevant, beyond just location or date-based ones.

It seems the app will also support attachments and subtasks, which is exciting as well.
 
Now that iOS 13 is out (and Catalina too now), I’ve taken a decent look at Reminders again. It has some nice new features, but I’m not sure how they fit in with GTD for me. I’m not sure how to use subtasks. The message suggestions thing seems more like a gimmick to me. Links between apps using share sheets work much better now, but only between Apple apps. The separate views for due and flagged are ok, but pretty far behind other apps. My tentative conclusion is that Reminders is a good free option for vanilla GTD use, which it was before.
 
After using the new Reminders for the past week or so, I tend to agree with @mcogilvie. There’s much room for improvement. However, I’ve found the remind while messaging feature useful for agenda items.

I recently upgraded my iPhone to the latest version (from a version 6) and was gifted a new Apple Watch. Each tool has its purpose, and I want to use each in my GTD system. I’m really enjoying capturing with my Apple Watch via Siri and the ability of leaving my phone at home. However, I find myself missing the flexibility, speed, and clarity of my paper system. The middle ground between analog and digital continues to elude me.
 
Top