New Slice of GTD Life with Barry Hillam

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
How does he do it all? Barry Hillam has a family, teaches and practices dentistry, and is a professional musician with a busy rehearsal and performance schedule. He also runs marathons and plays golf. Listen as Barry describes the event that catalyzed his search for a way to be more productive, the development of his GTD system, and the ongoing refinements he makes.

Don't miss the six-minute coda at the end. We thought we had finished, but started chatting and found that he had more to say about moving from control into higher perspectives, and about optimizing desk time.

https://gtdconnect.com/multimedia/audio.php?titleid=822&trackid=1448

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
How does he do it all? Barry Hillam has a family, teaches and practices dentistry, and is a professional musician with a busy rehearsal and performance schedule. He also runs marathons and plays golf. Listen as Barry describes the event that catalyzed his search for a way to be more productive, the development of his GTD system, and the ongoing refinements he makes.

Don't miss the six-minute coda at the end. We thought we had finished, but started chatting and found that he had more to say about moving from control into higher perspectives, and about optimizing desk time.

https://gtdconnect.com/multimedia/audio.php?titleid=822&trackid=1448
Looking forward to listening to this!

Barry Hillam

Registered
Hi GTD friends, thanks for listening to the podcast! John was such a great interviewer. Had a really good time doing it. I'd like to be able to help others with GTD more. And I know I can learn a lot from all of you in GTD Connect. I'm a long time Connect member, but haven't used the forums. I'll try to come on board and participate a bit. Would love to get to know you all. I'll work on making a video of that diagram, Oogie.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
One of the reasons I had such a good time interviewing Barry is that I have some musical background. In fact, I was guilty of exactly the "equipment will make me better" misconception that he described. When I was 16 I got a great instrument, but didn't suddenly become a great player. It took me two more years of studying how to practice before I got good enough to make something of the equipment. Even though I chose another direction, learning how to practice served me in every area where I wanted to make a physical or behavioral change.

Jodie E. Francis

GTD Novice
One of the reasons I had such a good time interviewing Barry is that I have some musical background. In fact, I was guilty of exactly the "equipment will make me better" misconception that he described. When I was 16 I got a great instrument, but didn't suddenly become a great player. It took me two more years of studying how to practice before I got good enough to make something of the equipment. Even though I chose another direction, learning how to practice served me in every area where I wanted to make a physical or behavioral change.
This sounds like the way some approach GTD.
If only I could find a better tool... :)

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
This sounds like the way some approach GTD.
If only I could find a better tool... :)
Exactly right. A good practitioner can make an elegant system using a plain notebook or fancy software with bells and whistles. But someone who doesn't understand the "why" of GTD can take the best tool and use it inefficiently.

My biggest improvements have always been about my practice, about how I think about what I'm thinking about.